What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to *evenly* curve a *panoramic* image along a circle's circumference?

Camilla

Hi!
I am at my wits end in searching either YouTube, Google or various Photoshop tutorial pages for an answer to this, to no avail. I need to know how to *evenly* place a panoramic image along a circle's circumference smoothly. :banghead: :runaway: It is important that Stockholm's skyline panorama isn't badly distorted. (see image below)
I could literally KISS someone on their forehead if they were to willing to explain or show me :redface: (I have CS5.)

I know how to smoothly place text on a circular path in order to create perfectly aligned *text* to a circumference - but not when it comes to an image. I have tried the warp tool which does not give me the desired effect since it warps out of shape. The puppet warp also doesn't achieve a totally smooth outcome/distorts the skyline image too much so that it no longer looks natural.

I'll add the image here in case anyone wants to try it. Otherwise, I am more than happy to get any super dooper hero to come and rescue me outta this glue!!

STCKLM 2.jpg

Tom Mann

Guru
Have you tried the old rectangular-to-polar coordinate transform tool? By adding extra blank space around your image, and then careful positioning and sizing of the starting image rrelative to the boundaries of the image, you will be able to adjust the minimimum and maximum radii to achieve an effect that doesn't exaggerate the height of the buildings.

Tom

Camilla

Hmm...I'm a little lost Tom. If you or anyone has the possibility of perhaps stating
"menu name" --> "menu name" (or tool name) etc it may make the solution a little easier for me to unravel.
Am very thankful for your/anyone's efforts.

Camilla

P.S - I'm a bit rusty and the swedish Photoshop (my dad's) makes the work a bit more fiddly on top of that - but I'm not afraid of translating any special commands to sync with the sedish menu.Luckily I have a much older english version of Photoshop which helps prompt me as well.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Have you tried the old rectangular-to-polar coordinate transform tool? By adding extra blank space around your image, and then careful positioning and sizing of the starting image relative to the boundaries of the image, you will be able to adjust the minimum and maximum radii to achieve an effect that doesn't exaggerate the height of the buildings.

Tom

No need to be lost. Tom is referring to a distort filter.........

Screen Shot 2015-01-19 at 10.31.18 AM.png

Otherwise, his instruction is exact.

Here are the results you can get.........

Screen Shot 2015-01-19 at 10.47.50 AM.png

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
...It is important that Stockholm's skyline panorama isn't badly distorted...
You'll have to accept some distortion due to the very nature of what you are trying to do....if I understand the question correctly.

Is this the kind of thing you want?...

stockholm_A_01.png

Or actually in a circle.....with a hole in the middle?

stockholm_A_02.png

Or None of the above!

Regards.
MrTom.

MrToM

Guru
IamSam

Now you cannot tell me that was just coincidence....you MUST be watching me!

Regards.
MrEyesInMyArse

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
LOL!!! :rofl:

I promise it's coincidence!!!

Great minds!

The Polar Coordinate filter takes some practice.

In order to eliminate some of the distortion, you have to transform the original.

Screen Shot 2015-01-19 at 10.41.22 AM.png

Camilla

lol Tom - as long as no-one is wanting the promised kiss on their....*ss (_)_) (cough)

Thanks guys! I didn't want myself to risk being too wordy so I left out the fact that I am in fact using two different panorama skyline/silhoette shots around one and the same circumference (with a hole in it). Both ends of both panoramas nicely touch each other without stretching. Because I eagerly checked this post using my phone this time I need to run back to my laptop (down the street) so that I can provide Gothenburg's skyline (being the other panorama).
I'll also try what you all helped me with and attach my result in here for your critique/help/thoughts.

So, so far, here's a KISS of gratitude on the forehead of each of you.

Of course, my eyes are peeled if anyone will continue to post in the meantime.

Are there "paths" one can make on an ellipse that an image can attach itself to versus text?

1.jpg
Open a new image.White Background, Size 24x5 cm 300dpi
drag and drop your image of Stockholm on a new layer . Position like screenshot. Add a black line.

2.jpg
Change the Size to a square of 10x10 cm 300dpi

3.jpg
Rotate it 180 degrees

4.jpg
Filter -> Distortion -> Polar Coordinate

5.jpg
Rotate 180 degrees

Maybe this will help you to do it step by step.
Chris.

Camilla

Oh my goodness! Now I'm hyperventilating! That was good. Real good Chris. I'll show you all after I have returned home from Stockholm late tomorrow (I didn't get to the building down the street today like I had planned).

CHRIS:- Here's your KISS of gratitude on your forehead too! Danke schön schöne Chris!

I still can't get over the help one gets on here - and I've only been a member for 24 hours!

Man I love you guys!

Tom Mann

Guru
lol Tom - as long as no-one is wanting the promised kiss on their....*ss (_)_) (cough) ...
Phew ... you were getting an old guy excited, and his wife (whose family happens to be from Tidaholm) worried, LOL! A virtual peck on the cheek is just fine :) .

Seriously, tho, I'm glad the rectangular-to-polar tool looks like it will work out for your application.

Best regards,

Tom M

Camilla

Ha ha!! You guys seriously make me laugh!

And how lovely your wife comes from this side of the pond :D You can assure her she has nuttin to worry about since I am quite a jokester ;)

Maybe she taught her Tom some sveeeeedish throughout the years. If not, you can improvise on the swedish chef's lingo (The Muppet Show) and say "murp! murp!" :D

Camilla

Not that I think anyone is keeping tabs on me, but in case anyone happened to wonder; my old laptop is whining that I have no available ram left so I was unable to finish my little project today as mentioned. Looks like I'll be needing to borrow a family member's computer elsewhere later on in the week.

By the way Chris - since you mentioned those pics were from your book, were they as a compliment to an author's published travels or the like, or was it a book you construed all by yourself? Do you regularly use Photoshop as part of your profession? I like your work. I've seen some of yours elsewhere on here too, I think.

These pictures are out of a fotobook I did for myself with my own images. I'm a graphic designer using Photoshop professionally since 1994.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Here's a deviation of Sam's posted tutorial and Chris' procedure. This is to maintain the height of the buildings to a certain degree.

Step 1 - resize the canvas to equal dimensions.

Step 2 - select the silhouette. Using CTRL+T , rotate 180°

Step 3 - stretch it vertically as shown.

Step 4 - Apply Polar Coordinates.

Step 5 - Fill in the white spot.....

STCKLM-2-dv.gif

This was done in PS7 but the procedure applies in CS as well.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Or.....

Double click the background layer to make it a new layer,

Double the size of the canvas, duplicate the silhouette layer and position/merge/transformed as shown and apply the filter.

Fill in the white background and black areas.

STCKLM-2-dv2.gif