What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to make a color "transparent"?

freakflag

Hey! I want to know how to make a certain color in a picture "transparent".
In Gimp, it is very easy, but I couldn't find this tool in Photoshop. I don't know how to explain what I mean, so I made screenshots from this tool in Gimp.

1. I have a picture and want to make the color Black transparent. Example:
gimptutorial01.png gimptutorial07.png

gimptutorial06.png

gimptutorial02.png gimptutorial08.png

2. Then I create a new layer under the first layer.
a) I can use one color:
gimptutorial03.png gimptutorial09.png

b) I can use a gradient:
gimptutorial04.png gimptutorial10.png

c) I can put a different picture under the first layer:
gimptutorial05.png gimptutorial11.png

Can anybody please tell me how I can make a color transparent in Photoshop?
Thank you!

If you want to make black or white transparent you can do it with the layer styles menu.1.jpg

If you want to pick a specific color I would use color range then make a mask.
2.jpg2.jpg4.jpg5.JPGThen you may want to work with the blend modes and opacity slider.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    481.5 KB · Views: 13
Thanks for the help, but this is both not exactly what I was looking for.
The first ist just turning the opacity down, that's not what I meant.
And the second is wrong as well, the edges are too hard.
Here is the difference:
..............................GIMP ........................................... PHOTOSHOP
gimp1.png ps1sl.png

And to make it more obvious, I added a pink background:
..............................GIMP ........................................... PHOTOSHOP
gimp2.png ps2u.png

use the quick selection tool and select emma copy her to a new layer and the reduce the background layers opacity

I agree, but you asked how to make a color transparent. Not how to remove a background.

I agree, but you asked how to make a color transparent. Not how to remove a background.
Because I don't want to remove a background.
I want to know how to make a certain color transparent, like in the Gimp sample.

@Hoogleman: That's not what I wanted. I didn't only want to make the background transparent. That would look like this:
emmawrong.png
But Emma looks like before. The Black of Emma is not transparent.

Nevermind, I give it up. There seems to be no tool at Photoshop that can do what I mean.

well several options for that use magic wand with right tolerence then select the colour you want press delete or use the magic eraser that will delete 1 colour in a section

I got these result using the blending options sliders I think this will get you the desired effect but you will have to play with them to get exactly what you want.1.jpg2.jpg
To me they look very similar to your examples but I don't know if it is what you want. To split the handles on the sliders use your alt/option key.

Back