What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to make picture black/red?

cyprexx

Hey everyone :)

I wondered if anyone has an idea (or tutorial?) how to make pictures dark-themes like this one?

Screen shot 2012-11-19 at 6.35.05 PM.png

I tried to contact the guy who makes these but he hasn't respondent yet and I've been playing with PS for a while now and just cant figure it out. Any help appreciated :)

Thank!

ibclare

Queen Bee
Can you post one or more of the photos you war working with please. It's probably done with levels and hue adjustment or similar adjustments, contrast, curves, etc. It also is probably mostly accomplished in the photography, as pertains to the exposure contrast of BG and FG.

Remote-Medic

Beast RARRR!
Okay, easiest way is to show you how I achieved a very similar look:

Start with you image>Desaturate>Add New Layer>Fill with desired colour>Set Blend Mode to Multiply>select original image layer>Hit Ctrl+L for levels>Adjust until you're happy with the look.

Result:
red.jpg

Although I have added some Gaussian Blur (maybe a little too Ballistic with the blur lol) and a bit of noise to match your image.
That's your call though, once you have the red appearance as you want it.

Note: I added the Noise and Blur after I recorded the video as I forgot to do that when I was recording :( Hope this works for you :thumbsup:

Last edited:

LordDante

Hmm... For that kind of effect i would use Gradient Map with red and black.

cyprexx

WOW! What awesome responses guys. Thanks for the help but how awesome and helpful is this community here! Appreciate everyones time for helping me out :)

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
LordDante - If at all possible please try to explain or demonstrate any suggested technique so that the OP might have an understanding of what your referring to.

I will help on the technique you mentioned.

Remote-Medic

Beast RARRR!
Nice Sam, the OP has a choice of how he would like to do it and now has videos of the best ways to achieve this, oh and that's some click you have on your mouse hehe

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Is it too loud? I can't tell on my speakers! It's volume level can be adjusted. Let me know.

LordDante

Sorry. My bad, but yeah... that's what I was talking about. Thank you.