What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to paint a 3d model in photoshop

enes ak

Hello everyone,
How can I overpaint the 3d rendered model as seen in the pictures?
How should I set the layer settings?

I would be glad if anyone can explain to me how I can do this for myself.

1.1.PNG

2.2.PNG

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome.

There are many techniques that can be used.............this is only one! I prefer this technique because the colors can easily be edited! The layer masks can also be edited.

Original
Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 12.17.49 PM.png

Background removed.
Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 12.18.49 PM.png

New background added.
Tree is isolated using whatever selection process you desire.
Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 12.19.17 PM.png

Use the selection to add to the layer mask of a Solid Fill Adjustment layer.
Set layer blend mode to "Overlay". This works in this case, you can try other blending options.
Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 12.19.29 PM.png

Repeat the process for each part of the model to be painted.......
Tree trunk
Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 12.19.40 PM.png
Fence
Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 12.19.51 PM.png
Roof
Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 12.20.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 12.20.16 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
In your sample image of the layers panel, you seem to have several aspects of the render in their own layers and converted to smart objects. I would have to actually see the PSD file in order to tell you how to proceed with your sample model. These layers may only be parts of the 3D model and not of much use for painting.

Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 12.37.39 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yet another technique can be by using Hue & Saturation layers set to colorize and clipped to a template layer set to "Overlay".
This clipping method can also be used with a Solid Color Fill Adjustment layer.

Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 12.53.50 PM.png

enes ak

In your sample image of the layers panel, you seem to have several aspects of the render in their own layers and converted to smart objects. I would have to actually see the PSD file in order to tell you how to proceed with your sample model. These layers may only be parts of the 3D model and not of much use for painting.

View attachment 138042
Thank you very much, I know about the overlay, but I need to use those layers that belong to the model for light and shadow. I will send you the psd file maybe you can help more

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
but I need to use those layers that belong to the model for light and shadow.
I think those layers need to be part of the model, but they shouldn't be necessary for the painting aspect. You can just save a merged version of the model for painting.

I will send you the psd file maybe you can help more
Sure, you can upload it to a post.............if it's too large, post a link to an online file host.

enes ak

I think those layers need to be part of the model, but they shouldn't be necessary for the painting aspect. You can just save a merged version of the model for painting.

Sure, you can upload it to a post.............if it's too large, post a link to an online file host.
Okey Thank you