What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to replicate this red tail effect

lello4ever

Hello,

I am trying to replicate this picture I found. (SAMPLE)

I used my photo, created the blurry background, made everything BW.
Now I am not sure how to replicate the red effect at the back of the car that creates the speed sensation.

Can you help me? What is the best approach and PS tools to do it?
Thanks

SAMPLE
sample.jpeg

MY WORK
poster2.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here's one way.

Duplicate your image.
Convert the duplicate layer to a smart object.
Apply a smart Gaussian Blur filter. Adjust to taste.
Lower the opacity of the duplicate layer. Adjust to taste.
Move it backwards and up to the rear of the R1 (to taste)
Apply a layer mask to the duplicate layer.
Use the Brush Tool to remove areas you don't want using the layer mask.

Screen Shot 2020-08-10 at 12.11.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-10 at 12.12.53 PM.png

lello4ever

Thank you for your prompt reply.
I am following your suggestion.
Let's see if I can do it with different brush hardness-opacity or I need to add more than one layer to replicate the effect which is faint in the edges.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You can also add adjustment layers to enhance and darken the red. Like a Hue & Sat adj. layer and a Curves adj. layer.

Screen Shot 2020-08-10 at 1.48.34 PM.png

JeffK

Guru
I took a try at it -
I duplicated the car to a second layer, applied one of the blur tools. masked it, then only opened the rear of the blur.
Then used the transform tool to stretch out the blur to the rear. Continued to paint out the part of the blur I didn't want to show.
Brought down the opacity of the blur.
Just a different approach and to see what's possible.
- Jeff
red tail edited.png

JeffK

Guru
Went back and stretched it further out to more closely match the dimension of the OP original...
- Jeff
red tail edited 2.png

JeffK

Guru
Hi Jeff, I like your result, would you share your PS levels to help me understand exactly what you performed?
Hi lello -
Here are the steps I took and also a visual of the layers:

1. Open your image.
2. Make a duplicate of your image layer to leave the original intact.
3: Using a selection tool, select the car and copy it to its own layer.
4. Using Filter – Blur – Motion blur on the car layer, I pushed the slider most of the way over. You can adjust to your liking.
5. Click OK.
6. Using your transform tool or move tool, pull the car image out to the left by dragging on the center of the left most vertical line.
(You may have to open your frame to pull it out further...)
7. Then apply a mask to this layer, fill it with black to hide the blur effect.
8. Using your brush tool, paint with white on the mask revealing as much of the blur effect as you want.
9. Continue using your free transform tool – or even you move tool - pulling both left and right to get the stretch you want.
10. You can change the opacity of the blur layer or you can also change the opacity of the brush on the mask to alter the blur effect, softening it even further.

Only 3 layers - never mind the "group" - probably added something and then deleted:
red tail layers.JPG
The final look is really up to you. Post your result if you'd like.
If you need a history log, let me know and I'll rebuild.
Thanks again for the opportunity to help!
- Jeff

JeffK

Guru
lello - I rebuilt the effect and copied the history log so you have an idea of how I proceeded.
You can see that at the end, I dropped the opacity of the blurred layer to soften the effect.
Any questions, let me know...
- Jeff
red tail history log.JPG

lello4ever

lello - I rebuilt the effect and copied the history log so you have an idea of how I proceeded.
You can see that at the end, I dropped the opacity of the blurred layer to soften the effect.
Any questions, let me know...
- Jeff
Thanks, I will try and post the result, I want to recreate the original effect as much as possible.