What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to replicate this soft, painted look and colour filter to my images?

sleepingroses

Hi all!

I need some help with something I have been struggling to replicate myself - although this could be because I haven't really touched Photoshop in 8 years.

I would like to know the steps I need to take in order to make my pictures look similar - colour wise (saturated pinks and blues) and filter wise (a very soft, almost painted look)

I have tried using a frequency separation technique as well as surface blur but am becoming quite frustrated with myself.

I would greatly appreciate any help! Thank you in advance ☺️

0F7613A7-7399-4215-8494-96DD3E79CF24.jpeg
85378F3B-E570-4C15-BA4E-D85961F474D7.jpeg4320949E-DD73-493B-B3B1-8FB607056AA9.jpeg

Just a quick test...
I used the camera raw filter in luminance and played with the sliders until I got a soft look.
I repeated it.
With a mask I got rid of the parts not in need of softness.
I added a purple color layer in soft light blend mode and reduced the opacity.
You can dodge and burn until you achieve the desired effect.
I'm sure there are more PS tools/adjustments/filters you can use but this is an quick example of how to without a plug-in...
As I said before, all these things can be achieved with a plug-in as mentionned but you have to experiment with the native PS tools because the plug-ins are in fact a series of PS effects combined and adjustable.

01.jpg

02.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with Eggy, just wanted to add that in camera raw they added recently a new option called texture that also helps in this case i think, and combined with luminance can achive the painted effect but less blurry and maintaining a lot more detail.

2 minut example.

01f.jpg

I agree with Eggy, just wanted to add that in camera raw they added recently a new option called texture that also helps in this case i think, and combined with luminance can achive the painted effect but less blurry and maintaining a lot more detail.

2 minut example.

View attachment 99451

Wow, this is pretty spot on! Thank you so much for your help!

Just a quick test...
I used the camera raw filter in luminance and played with the sliders until I got a soft look.
I repeated it.
With a mask I got rid of the parts not in need of softness.
I added a purple color layer in soft light blend mode and reduced the opacity.
You can dodge and burn until you achieve the desired effect.
I'm sure there are more PS tools/adjustments/filters you can use but this is an quick example of how to without a plug-in...
As I said before, all these things can be achieved with a plug-in as mentionned but you have to experiment with the native PS tools because the plug-ins are in fact a series of PS effects combined and adjustable.

View attachment 99418

View attachment 99421

That looks really pretty, thank you for the advice and for giving this a go for me. I really appreciate it!

Back