What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to retouch this photo, hlp pls!!!!!!

MindBender

Guru
Well, it kind of depends on what you need to do and what you're going to use it for in the end.

Rosettes are hard to get rid of and maintain image clarity, which is why you generally avoid scanning screened prints (magazines et al.)

You can try using some blurs on multiple copied layers and then blend them with blending modes to try to take the edge off. Smart blur or anisotropic diffusion might be another technique to use. The biggest problem you're going to have is with detail clarity due to the techniques you'll need to remove the rosettes.

If you only need this for web, it won't be too bad, but if you need this to print, it's going to be an uphill battle.

More info = better answer.

ciwecom

Have another best idea???

thank you above to reply
but , have another best idea???
-------------

Welles

Guru
Hi ciwecom,

I got rid of quite a bit of the pattern by using Filter > Noise > Dust and Scratches set to 2 pixels radius and 0 threshold levels. Is that a little better?

P

(PSD) Sergiy

(PSD) Sergiy

1) I did some job with ---replacing tool ---
2) Littlebit of ---Hue/Saturation---
3) Little with ---Noise>Median (2-3)---
4) A few ---Smugles---
5) And some of ---Shadows--- and ---Lighting---

tranquil222

Power User
Basically this kind of job is done by blurring and sharpening the red, green and blue channels of the image and selectively using the blur and then (if needed) the median filter to get out imperfections, followed by an unsharp mask filter to bring out detail. Usually you want to blur/median/sharpen the blue channel the most, because it has the most imperfections, and then experiment with the other two. When you use all of these three filters, or two, you want to use the same values(use the same radius for the unsharp mask filter) for all them so that color halos are kept to a minimum. This is the best I could do....

sPECtre

Guru
Have you tried blurring the AB channels of LAB, it helps also...
scanning the page at a small angle is sometimes helpful.

tranquil222

Power User
Each image has ten channels essentially. If you can identify which channel has the most imperfections -- for instance if they are just colored dots, use lab to blur the ab channels, and if they are yellow dots, use the blue channel of RGB, and if they are all black, blur and sharpen the K channel of cmyk -- you can blur then sharpen those channels while retaining the detail in the other channels by only slightly blurring/sharpening them.

P

(PSD) Sergiy

(PSD) Sergiy

I think he was asking how to remove the sharpen stuff and clean
the face?, not only putting it through many filters.
Give it little of life and make some of hand painting :perfect:
Its my own opinion :)

Moth

Power User
tranquil222 and (PSD) Sergiy, you both have done fine work. The best solution may be a combination of blurring the AB channels of LAB and some conservative airbrushing.

This may be a good topic for a challenge.

tranquil222

Power User
If getting rid of the halftoning artifacts is the point, which is what I think it is, there is no way to do it without "filtering" channels (meaning blurring and sharpening, which are not effects filters) individually. For instance, there are extreme bands in the blue channel in this image, for which hiding would not be acceptable by blurring all of the channels as a whole, which is what it looks like has been done with your example. You would just median/blur/sharpen the blue channel to get rid of these and then smooth out any other imperfections in the other channels.

P

(PSD) Sergiy

(PSD) Sergiy

tranquil222 said:
If getting rid of the halftoning artifacts is the point, which is what I think it is, there is no way to do it without "filtering" channels (meaning blurring and sharpening, which are not effects filters) individually. For instance, there are extreme bands in the blue channel in this image, for which hiding would not be acceptable by blurring all of the channels as a whole, which is what it looks like has been done with your example. You would just median/blur/sharpen the blue channel to get rid of these and then smooth out any other imperfections in the other channels.

Hey tranquili you telling me that i took this picture through many
of the :filters: like "median" and stuff like that?
Yes i did! But most of this job was done by
using "Replace", "Dodge", "burn" and "smugle" tools. Wich after
were put through couple of Adjustments: "color
balances", "replacing color" etc...
And again i put little of "Dodge" with "Replacing" tool on top of it.
Please... don`t tell me, that my work is fake and you are the best
with your Lab and Smyk.
"
For instance, there are extreme bands in the blue channel in this image, for which hiding would not be acceptable by blurring all of the channels as a whole, which is what it looks like has been done with your example.
I dont know what you was trying to say by that, but i got the
point ... And even if i had gone through it settings, its looks much
better... " And again i can be wrong :) "

tranquil222

Power User
Im not arguing my way is better, its just the way i would do it. Its not how you do it but the end result that really matters. I think yours looks perfectly acceptable minus the yellow bands in the blue channel. awesome.

P

(PSD) Sergiy

(PSD) Sergiy

I though for couple minuts that i was being atacked... [confused]
Thanks fot the fair conclusion :perfect:

J

Josh

ciwecom said:
how to retouch this photo???? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!
You can't. You can improve it, but it will never look great.
There are limitations to what you can do with Photoshop or any other imaging product and this is one of them.
It's plain simple; important pixels were lost or damaged.
You can't create anything out of nothing. One can only guess what kind of information was lost. I had a look at all three channels and each one of them is severely damaged. I won't give this one even a try.

MsOz

Power User
ciwecom, just ignore the doomsayers that come to this party late. I'm sure you do not expect a "great" looking image out of something this crude, but that is far beyond saying the image can't be helped.

As you have already seen, improvements have been made, and further improvements still can be made. I was able to smooth the banding in the green channel by taking sergiy's results and adding a small amount of noise, gaussian blur, and then applying a small bit of the sandstone texture, which I blurred again. It's still no Richard Avedon (a very famous portrait photographer), but again, that would be unrealistic for this quality of reference image. As the old saying goes, "you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear." But, we might be able to fix you up with a nice brushed suede one! :perfect:

MsOz

Power User
tranquil, the original image shows a real strong herringbone pattern in the green channel, which is smoothed somewhat by sergiy's technique, but I still see it more as horizontal shadowy bands.

Reduce the size of the image on your desktop with the Navigator slider. It's like stepping back from an image, and you sometimes see things that don't show up as well at close magnification.