What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to slow video in CS5ext

stevieb75

Hi,

I need to slow down a clip of video from its original frame rate. The original video is a piece of CCTV footage and is timelapse with a frame rate of 3fps and a total duration of 22 secs. I need to slow this footage down to create a slomo clip. can this be done in CS5ext?

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

steve

believe it or not but good slow motion needs higher fps you really need to be looking at clips shot at 60 fps and then if your using after effects, premiere, sony vegas you can just time remap it or stretch. if you really do have a clip at 3 fps then surely that is slowed down and very jerkey to begin with considering the standard video are pretty much 24 to 30 fps and now a days with better quality cameras 60 fps is getting to be the new 30 fps. So yes any clip you can slow down but a big difference between slowing it down and getting a good quality slo mo effect

I may not have phrased my question as best i could. The CCTV footage has been recorded at 3fps so it "timelapse" and does play very jerky as you say when played at 3fps and I have used the frame rate of this particular piece of footage as an example only. What i need to do is basically increase the time each frame is displayed in the video so that 1 second of my clip lasts for 5 seconds for example.

I can do this with AVID or Premiere etc but I was unsure if this can be done with PS CS5ext with the animation tool as I will be working on the clip within PS

Thanks

In animation you can adjust the time line to what ever you desire?

Ok so the video is in AVI or quicktime movie mode, then just simply just go to photoshop then go to file > import > video to layers if you dont get the animation window come up at the bottom go to window> animation. if you get a load of green bars come up at the bottom then just click the icon highlighted in blue in my pic then where it is highlighted red you can select all the frames by clicking the first 1 and then scrolling all the way to the last 1 hold down shift key and click the last 1 then adjust the time to whatever suits you
Capture.PNG

Slow motion can also be used for artistic effect, to create a romantic or suspenseful aura or to stress a moment in time. Vsevolod Pudovkin, for instance, used slow motion in a suicide scene in The Deserter, in which a man jumping into a river seems sucked down by the slowly splashing waves. Another example is Face/Off, in which John Woo used the same technique in the movements of a flock of flying pigeons. The Matrix made a distinct success in applying the effect into action scenes through the use of multiple cameras, as well as mixing slow-motion with live action in other scenes. Japanese director Akira Kurosawa was a pioneer using this technique in his 1954 movie Seven Samurai. American director Sam Peckinpah was another classic lover of the use of slow motion. The technique is especially associated with explosion effect shots and underwater footage.

Back