What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I can't get a rotated image to stay rotated

WriterBob

Hi... I'm trying to use the rotate tool to rotate an image/canvas. When I'm finished I hit return, then go to another tool (the crop tool). Every time I do, the rotated image returns to its unrotated position. Someone told me to click a checkmark in the header bar (sorry, I don't know the correct terminology) to lock in the rotation, but I don't have a checkmark to click. I know the answer will be embarrassingly simple, but this is driving me crazy. Help, anyone? Thanks. (I have Photoshop 2023)

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This only happens with the Crop Tool right? Not with any other tool?

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi @WriterBob

Interestingly enough I could repeat your issues.
1) If you don't have the checkmark it is likely because the option panel is not docked (it effectively gets truncated). That's pretty irritating and not sure why that is not a Photoshop bug that should be fixed. You will get the checkbox back if you dock the Options panel or reset your workspace.

2) The normal behavior is to be able to change just click enter or return to have the crop accepted. My computer did not do that yet was successful when I used Cntl+enter.
This problem also went away when I reset Preferences. I don't know the root cause of this issue only how to workaround / fox the problem

Hope that helps
John Wheeler

WriterBob

Hi, @thebestcpu:

Thank you for explaining this. I'm still hitting a wall: I reset the options panel, turned it off and on, reset the workspace (Window>Workspace>Rest Essentials), tried different workspaces, moved the options panel away from the top of the screen, restarted Photoshop, restarted my Mac... Can't get the checkmark to show. Also, when using the rotate tool, after making the rotation, hitting cntl+enter didn’t lock in the change.

What DID work (to retain my rotation transformation): I used the tool to see the degree rotation I want, then went to Image > rotate > arbitrary, put in that degree and hit return. When I went to a different tool, the rotation stayed. Weird workaround for the missing checkmark, but it accomplishes what I need. (I would still like to know why I can't get the checkmark on the options panel.)

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You will get the checkbox back if you dock the Options panel or reset your workspace.
What checkbox? What tool has this checkbox in it's tools option bar? Can you please screenshot this for me?

Rotating with the Rotate View Tool rotates the entire canvas.
Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 11.14.53 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 11.17.36 AM.png

Rotating with free transform only rotates the object within a selected layer.
Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 11.18.27 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 11.18.44 AM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You can rotate with the Crop Tool which rotates the layers behind a straight and level crop box. After rotation, you still have the option to change the crop box.
Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 11.28.05 AM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm trying to use the rotate tool to rotate an image/canvas. When I'm finished I hit return, then go to another tool (the crop tool). Every time I do, the rotated image returns to its unrotated position.
I can also replicate this perceived issue. My understanding is that this should happen every time based on how the Crop Tool functions. But I'm not at all certain about this missing checkbox that allows the Crop Tool to retain the original rotation of the canvas that was done using the Rotate View Tool, essentially overriding the normal function of the Crop Tool.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@WriterBob Yes............I completely understand what you are asking about! As I stated, the same thing happens for me. I do believe that this is not a bug or issue. I think this happens based on how the Crop Tool functions.

But...............I can't say this for sure until I can see the missing checkbox.

This image does not show the Rotate View Tool.
This is Free Transform.....which will have the checkmark icon to "save" the transformation.
Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 12.24.50 PM.png

Can you link to the tutorial?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 12.33.38 PM.png

The answer is no! Not with the Rotate View Tool!!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here is an arrow added to your screen shot on it's own layer.
Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 12.54.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 1.11.57 PM.png

Here I have used The Rotate View Tool to rotate the entire canvas..............this is just a view, not a trnsformation.
Note the arrow is in the same position.
Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 12.55.03 PM.png

Now lets return the view to normal with esc.
With the arrow layer selected, now lets enter free transform with Cmd/Cntrl + T
Note the transform control handles.
Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 12.55.16 PM.png

Here, using free transform, I have rotated the arrow and hit the check mark icon (not shown here in this screen shot) to save the transition.
Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 1.03.39 PM.png
But it is on the Tools Option bar....
Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 1.07.59 PM.png

Here I have gone back to the Rotate View Tool and rotated the canvas again.
Note that the arrow that I rotated with free transform has stayed where I placed it.
Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 12.55.49 PM.png

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi @WriterBob and @IamSam

I wanted to add one item that hopefully clears one thing up.
When one has used the Rotate View Tool it has the option to reset that view with a button in the Option Bar. However, it also gets reset when you select the Crop Tool or keyboard shortcut "C"
That is normal behavior. Note that this Rotate View reset only occurs when selecting the crop tool not other tools. If you don't want that behavior I don't know a way to change it.
John Wheeler

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
When one has used the Rotate View Tool it has the option to reset that view with a button in the Option Bar. However, it also gets reset when you select the Crop Tool or keyboard shortcut "C"
Yes. This is what I have been saying just in case there was some misunderstanding! LOL!! I thought that you had found the missing checkbox! Apparently, this is a misunderstanding on @WriterBob's behalf that could be based on a poor tutorial or their misunderstanding the tutorial. Hopefully they link us to the tutorial!

My understanding is that this should happen every time based on how the Crop Tool functions.

I do believe that this is not a bug or issue. I think this happens based on how the Crop Tool functions.

thebestcpu

Guru
Just to clear, there is a case where the checkmark is virtually gone yet I am not sure that is the situation with @WriterBob 's situation. I will demonstrate with cut and pastes. Do note I am on a 2021 M1 MacBook Pro and Monterey yet I have seen others have the same issue.
The issue occurs with the Option Bar Undocked and a certain Preference setting

The Preference Setting that has an impact is under the Condesded section of the Workspace Preferences:

Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 2.47.29 PM.JPG

The next three images are with that option unchecked (which I think is the default)
In all cases the Option Bar is undocked (thought it is just slightly in the cut and pastes below

This first one is when using Cmd+T (Cntl+T on PCs) to initiate a Transform on a Layer and I have rotated the Layer. No checkmark in the Option Bar rigft? Well it is there just trancasted. Note the little tick mark to the right of the magnifier in the Option Bar - that is actually the checkbox and if clicked will accept the transform

Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 11.51.55 AM.JPG

This next image is when using the Crop tool - I rotated it yet you don't have to for the checkmark to supposedly be there.
Again it is not there yet just to the right of the share button that little tick mark is the Checkmark and it will function if you click it

Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 2.41.58 PM.JPG

Another example is when adding a text Layer.
Again no checkmark yet just the left of the Share button there is a little tic mark that is what is left of the Share button.

Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 2.43.53 PM.JPG

Now I will show the same three cut and pastes with the Preference setting for the Enable Narrow Option Bar checked. Note that you have to restart Photoshop when changing this Preference Option

Here is the case for a Layer Transformation:
Still a bit hidden yet more is seen just to the left of the Share Button

Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 2.46.20 PM.JPG

Here is the case for the Crop tool:
Checkbox is back to fully being seen

Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 2.46.42 PM.JPG

Here is the screen shot for adding a Text Layer:
Again the Checkmark is fully visible.

Again when the Options Bar is docked I have not see the issue at all
John Wheeler

Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 2.47.02 PM.JPG

Trevoc

Just to clear, there is a case where the checkmark is virtually gone yet I am not sure that is the situation with @WriterBob 's situation. I will demonstrate with cut and pastes. Do note I am on a 2021 M1 MacBook Pro and Monterey yet I have seen others have the same issue.
The issue occurs with the Option Bar Undocked and a certain Preference setting

The Preference Setting that has an impact is under the Condesded section of the Workspace Preferences:

View attachment 137348

The next three images are with that option unchecked (which I think is the default)
In all cases the Option Bar is undocked (thought it is just slightly in the cut and pastes below

This first one is when using Cmd+T (Cntl+T on PCs) to initiate a Transform on a Layer and I have rotated the Layer. No checkmark in the Option Bar rigft? Well it is there just trancasted. Note the little tick mark to the right of the magnifier in the Option Bar - that is actually the checkbox and if clicked will accept the transform

View attachment 137349

This next image is when using the Crop tool - I rotated it yet you don't have to for the checkmark to supposedly be there.
Again it is not there yet just to the right of the share button that little tick mark is the Checkmark and it will function if you click it

View attachment 137350

Another example is when adding a text Layer.
Again no checkmark yet just the left of the Share button there is a little tic mark that is what is left of the Share button.

View attachment 137351

Now I will show the same three cut and pastes with the Preference setting for the Enable Narrow Option Bar checked. Note that you have to restart Photoshop when changing this Preference Option

Here is the case for a Layer Transformation:
Still a bit hidden yet more is seen just to the left of the Share Button

View attachment 137352

Here is the case for the Crop tool:
Checkbox is back to fully being seen

View attachment 137354

Here is the screen shot for adding a Text Layer:
Again the Checkmark is fully visible.

Again when the Options Bar is docked I have not see the issue at all
John Wheeler

View attachment 137355
@thebestcpu I've never paid attention to "check marks" because it has never been an issue, I am able to transform and rotate with the transform option or rotate with the rotate tool. So, seeing all these graphics and reading the conversation, I learned something new even though I have no issues. I'm commenting to commend you on your thorough explanations and adding visual aid to help the person asking the question. I am more of a visual learner than theoretical and your screenshots explained is very helpful. I would mention that for many years, I've helped others using the same step by step visual tutorial. Also, my reason for commenting is to let people know that many people have problems with text explanations, but are able to better understand through visual aids. Thank you for taking the time to be helpful not only to the person asking the question, but to others who will benefit from the time you took.

thebestcpu

Guru
You're welcome @Trevoc
I too learn best visually and appreciative of the many forum members that include visual step by steps in their explanation.
John Wheeler