What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ideal computer for design and web?

iDesign

My current Macbook (Laptop) is slowly loosing life, slowing down and over heating, it can't keep up with the speed I work at on my laptop. So it's time to get a new one, but i'm thinking a desktop would cope with what I do a little better.

My idea is to totally wipe out my current laptop and using use it for surfing the web only, and use my new computer for designing, and web development.

I have 2 iMac's in mind:

imac 21.png
21.5-inch: 2.9GHz
Specifications

• [*=left]2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
    [*=left]Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    [*=left]8GB (two 4GB) memory
    [*=left]1TB hard drive1
    [*=left]NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 1GB video memory

imac 27.png

27-inch: 3.2GHz
Specifications

• [*=left]3.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
    [*=left]Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    [*=left]8GB (two 4GB) memory
    [*=left]1TB hard drive1
    [*=left]NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M with 1GB video memory

Web Design
Obviously the 27" has better specs, but I am thinking the screen size may be too big when working with websites. would it be ideal to be using a similar size screen to your audience, or would would a bigger one be more beneficial?

Graphic Design
As for graphic designing, I'd imagine the bigger the screen the better, especially when working with posters and banners? The 27" iMac, I think also comes with bigger graphics card which would be an advantage.

Please share your advice, i'd be interested to hear some views from people with the same hobbies and interests. If the iMac is not ideal, then share your thoughts ;).

Last edited:

Hoogle

Guru
Screen size is pretty much irrelevant other than preference, I work of 3 27 inch monitors bearing in mind web design is mostly based on responsive design so it will scale to screen. if you do a fixed size it it is primarily 960 px wide or 1200, just because you have a 27 inch display doesnt mean to say your going to use applications at 27 inch I am often having split screen code on left and design view on right with photoshop on my left monitor and illustrator or adobe edge on right monitor.

So I would go for performance and adjust your design to suit. SSD or flash storage is almost a must these days so that is a good upgrade to add so put your budget on that if you have extra then go for the bigger screen.

I also run virtual box so I can view websites and set the screen size to the standard sizes for laptops, computers and tablets/phones gives you more of a realistic experience or you can use software that simulates screen sizes and different browsers.

iDesign

Thanks Hoogle.

How do you find general web browsing with the 27", not all websites are responsive, do you find many not working very well? I have this weird imagination that many websites will have huge gaps either side and the website being centred in the middle. I may visit a local PC World, to have a browse on one.

Personally, I would much prefer a bigger screen, as like you said, more working space allows more programs up at once. £1,500 would ideally be my budget.

Do you have an iMac yourself?

Hoogle

Guru
I occasionally use macs but I am more of a windows PC man myself but also have a hackintosh :)

There is not really much difference between the 2 these days just price. Macs now use the same parts as a PC inside so it is down to OS Preference and budget, there is no secret You can get a far higher spec PC for your money than a MAC and it is far easier to customise and upgrade.

But macs are less prone to os mess ups and viruses except the few that are spreading recently

iDad

Guru
Beside anding memory, Apple doesn't make it easy to upgrade hardware. I suggest you max out your graphics card to the best they have. To get many more years out of it.
4.0GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.4GHz
32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x8GB
1TB Fusion Drive
AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB GDDR5

PGalangArt

Of course it depends on what you can afford, but I suggest getting the fastest processor you can and more than 8 gb of ram. The graphics card on either of those is passable. Storage looks good and screen size is up to you.

Also, this guy has a lot of info on this. I agree with almost everything he says, having build my design computer myself. The title says photoshop, but it applies to design software, like Adobe illustrator as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BypkjzYFfRg

Last edited: