What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Image flattening problems

RichardC

Hi again folks,
New problem here......I cannot change my psd image to a tif, flatten or merge layers without losing some of the adjustment layer effects. I?m using PS6.
Is there any way around this?
RC

jonbalza

Hmmm... I bet you are in CMYK mode. If so, convert to RGB, then flatten. But, even then you may end up with some changes in the conversion process - the only way to really avoid that is to start in RGB.
(edit: ehh... never mind... I may be way off with that now that I've tested it a bit.)

If that fails, you could make a new layer at the very top of the layer stack, and then make a merged copy (Ctrl-Alt-Shift-E for windows). That might get you a good representation.

(Those are the shortcuts, this is a very large topic. If they don't work, try working your way through this: http://www.normankoren.com/color_management_2.html . Look especially at the section on conversion options. You may also wish to check out the book "Real World Photoshop" that has some good info on color management.)

RichardC

[excited] Thank you Jon.....I?ve been in RGB and I tried the merged layer at the top of the stack trick and it?s still no good. I appreciate the link and I have it saved for a later time when I have more time and patience (color management gives me a headache).
In the meantime I found a fix.
I saved my adjustments into a folder with the image file and deleted all my adjustment layers. Then I loaded them one at a time into the background directly (all but color balance since it doesn?t have the ?save? and ?load? options). I wrote that one down on paper.....(remember paper?)
Worked great!
Thanks again.........RC
:D

jonbalza

Richard, I know you figured a way around it, but earlier today it occurred to me that I forgot to mention one thing to try:

Make sure when you are flattening, you are viewing the image at 100% (Actual size). Otherwise, anything you see on screen is an approximation, and can make it look like the image is changing.

Sorry about that.