What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a way to use the "Detail" adjustment w/o using HDR Toning?

Albobo

I found the "Detail" slider in HDR Toning to be pretty powerful in bringing out... well, details. In many cases, it does what I'd want Smart Sharpen to do. Smart Sharpen creates sharpening halos and noise way too easily, but I notice altering the Detail feature in HDR Toning doesn't.

However, every time I bring up HDR Toning, the image's lighting is altered even if I set all the sliders to 0 or the middle. Is there a way to use the "Detail" feature without affecting the luminosity data? Sorry in advance if that was confusing!

Well 0 is the center point on the sliders.
Bring the Exposure or other sliders down below 0.

What are you trying to accomplish here some kind of HDR effect or sharpen the image?
If you're trying to sharpen there are better ways than Smart Sharpen.

Yeah, I do try to replicate my original lighting by fixing Exposure, Gamma and whatnot, but it's too much trial and error and I'd rather have my original fix.

I was trying to do sharpen the image. And I completely thought Smart Sharpen was considered the greatest thing ever by people. Can you show me or link me to better methods :D?

Well you can set up Adobe Camera Raw to open not only Raw files but JPG's and Tif's too.
It has a sharpening and noise reduction module.
Make sure you read the little blurb under the tools about zooming to 100% or larger

In Photoshop I like High Pass.

When you're ready to sharpen, copy the layer and make sure it's on the top, name it High Pass so you know what it is and go to Filter|Other|High Pass and set the slider to 3 (play with that setting but I like 3). press OK.
Go to Edit|Fade High Pass and set it to 100% and Overlay, press Enter.

Turn the layer on and off to see the difference.
You can lower the opacity on the High Pass layer to adjust the sharpening.

See how that works for you.

Thank you so much, Steve!! That opened up new doors.

Also, in googling for some more info on the High Pass filter, I came across this:
Ron Bigelow Photography Articles

There's a few articles on the various sharpening methods a Photoshopper has if you scroll down, for anyone else who wants to know too.

Back