What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lightzone is available again .................

Steve

Retired Administrator
........................... and now it's free at LightZone Project.

LightZone for Windows V4.0, New Release (June 15, 2013)

READ AND UNDERSTAND THIS FIRST:
Copyright (c) 2005-2011 Lightcrafts,inc., & 2011-2013 The LightZone Project, Fabio Riccardi, creator & original owner, Lightcrafts, inc, William Andrews et al., The LightZone Project
All rights reserved. Original source code for LightZone software is provided as a free and open source product under a BSD license from creator Fabio Riccardi. Additional modifications are provided by The LightZone Project, an open source, non-profit working group. LightZone software is now provided free to the public. Please keep it free! ................ Read the rest HERE.

ABOUT:
LightZone is professional-level digital darkroom software for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. Rather than using layers as many other photo editors do, LightZone lets the user build up a stack of tools which can be rearranged, turned off and on, and removed from the stack. It's a non-destructive editor, where any of the tools can be re-adjusted or modified later — even in a different editing session. A tool stack can be copied to a batch of photos at one time. LightZone operates in a 16-bit linear color space with the wide gamut of ProPhoto RGB.

While many of LightZone's tools are standard fare, it offers some unusual ones for tonal control — meaning brightness, contrast, shadows, highlights, etc. Some are inspired by the Zone System, and some are inspired by HDR tone-mapping. These tools put LightZone in a class by itself for working with black-and-white imagery. They're useful for color photos, too.
LightZone was created by Light Crafts, Inc., as proprietary software, and was sold starting in 2005. In 2007, MacWorld gave LightZone its Editor's Choice Award. Light Crafts ceased operation in September 2011 and released LightZone to open source in December 2012.
The lead software developer on the LightZone Project is Anton Kast, who had worked for Light Crafts on the LightZone software.

Steve, anything particular with this software that warrants taking up more space on the HD?

It's a photo editing tool that can open RAW files It seems to be very powerful with a lot of tools.
I'm playing with it right now and I'm impressed with the ZoneMapper feature which breaks down the lighting zones into 16 (I think) segments.

Passing your mouse over the image shows what zone that area is in.
You can adjust that specific area making it lighter or darker and leave the other zones unaffected.
It seems much easier than using curves in ACR or PS.
That's about as far as I've gotten so far.

I'm not sure if it's for "me" yet Larry so I have no idea if it's for you.
Just passing along a "heads up", this program set you back a couple of hundred dollars a few years ago and got good reviews.

Personally, I'll be playing with it for a while.

Whether it's for you, that's up to you.

Thanks guys. I found this a help...

Some Release Notes:
We have decided to number this release V4.0 to mark a clean break from the old, licensed versions produced and sold by Lightcrafts. This new designation does not mean that this new version has new tools or tool enhancements. It does mean that it is newly compiled and de-bugged, and has been run through thorough virus scanning. Users may note some quickening of overall performance, but may possibly also note some slower performance times. We will be working on performance enhancements in the coming months, and may have some other enhancements left over from unfinished projects from Lightcrafts, Which Fabio generously conveyed to us. It also contains all the new RAW profiles produced by Doug Pardee since The LightZone Project (formerly LightZombie) began life in the fall of 2011. Nevertheless, the latest of these are 5 months old as of June 2013. We will be working on new RAW profiling, but in the meantime please check the "dcraw" and "Raw Profiles" sections for instructions on DIY Raw profiling.
Enjoy your software, and join me in hearty applause for the Dev Team for an amazing job resurrecting this software. Bravo!

Last edited:

Back