What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Logo remake

Sops

Hello

I am a novice Photoshop user and I am looking for some tips on how I could revamp this logo. It was made by an associate and they would like to add it to a website but it looks a bit low quality at the moment so I am looking to clean it up/remake it in photoshop and I was hoping I could get some input on the best way to go about it.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• logo.png
    logo.png
    100.6 KB · Views: 53

iDad

Guru
I would use the pen tool and out line it then stroke the path (new layer in color mode) like this
but with better color if you are printing

chrisatlemon

as iDad says, trace it with the pen tool. Apply nice colours to the different shapes. Give them a little gradient so it gives a little more depth. Create a little distorted drop shadow so it looks like the ball is hovering over the ground or maybe a little reflection. Plenty of tutorials on how to do this around. Then it looks somewhat more polished. I attach a very quick draft to Show what I mean by the gradients

ball.gif

Sops

Thanks for the input.

I retraced it but I am not able to mimic the lighting of the original to make it look 3D. Is it possible to render this type of 3D shape in CS5?

Edit, just had an idea I will have to test when I get home

Attachments

• pentium properties logo3.png
    pentium properties logo3.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

chrisatlemon

to be honest I think yours looks just as 3D as the original. You do this by applying shadows and lightning, and from what I see this is what you did. Of course this can always be optimised and polished, but this is definitely going the right way...

cheers

Chris

iDad

Guru
View attachment 3730"I am a novice Photoshop" I think it's time to upgrade your label:mrgreen:
can't get much more 3d than that lol..well you could but ..... nice job

Last edited:

Sops

to be honest I think yours looks just as 3D as the original. You do this by applying shadows and lightning, and from what I see this is what you did. Of course this can always be optimised and polished, but this is definitely going the right way...
It would be easier if it was a sphere, the problem is the shape has flat sides so there shouldn't be such an even gradient of lighting. I may have to make each tile a separate layer.

"I am a novice Photoshop" I think it's time to upgrade your label:mrgreen:
Thanks you but I still can not hold a candle to the images some people can make in photoshop.

chrisatlemon

Don't overdo it. Nobody needs a photorealistic 3-D cube for a company logo. On the very contrary. on most logos you want Work with solid colours, you want it to work on black and white the same as with colours, you want it to be simple and straightforward. I wouldn't go to elaborate on this...

Cheers

Chris

ibclare

Queen Bee
Nice suggestion. But he doesn't need that. He wants the experience making it himself. And you're doing a great job of it Sops. I agree with chrisatlemon and iDad. Keep it simple. Maybe tone down the dark strokes a little. That may be part of what's interfering with the idea of 3D as some of them might be smaller receding and so forth.

ibclare

Queen Bee
I don't know if you're still working on this but I made a larger representation with more contrast in the color of the gradient idea that chrisatlemon had. Made the greater contrast just so you could see it better.

Anyway, I think the gradient idea is a good one and may satisfy making it more 3D.

Attachments

• gradient.jpg
    gradient.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 24

SeniorS

Guru
Oh, i like that. Pentahedron (i find it by google, couldn't remember myself :)). I love those. And always wonder how to make it.
Not create outlines form existed (excelent job by the way) but create mathematic precise by photoshop. Still not dare to try cause i forgot almost everything about mathematic. I can't even calculate how much pieces such ball should have which makes me sad sad sad.

And Sops, Welcome to PhotoShopGurus :)

A, What the F is that Babysun!

B, The key to any good logo is simplicity,cant think of many famous logos done with a lot 3d effect, don't over work it!.