What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lookng for PS Master for this padawan

cartoonbob

Hello,

I am searching for a master PS user to teach me the ins and outs of using the program. i would not like any person to do this job for i ask the assistance of someone with the patience and time to teach me to become as masterful as they are. i in the future look to becoming a master of PS for this saloon of needy people for i strive to be a helpful person. please send me a PM (Pigeon message) if thou is up to the task of teaching a young-ling the ways of the Shopping of Photos.

Thank You,
Cartoonbob
Ian

P.S. - this is a serious request, even though i am typing in a fun way i am really asking for this favor/task

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
@cartoonbob...

Photoshop is used by each and every one of us in the course of our day to day work or hobby activities.

In a way, you have at your fingertips the combined, collective, years gained experience and knowledge of all the members here at PSG - expertise in fields ranging from photography to printing, image enhancement to manipulation, web to billboard layout design, personal to commercial communication art plus more.

You gain bits and pieces from the entire range of individual expertise offered by members from all hemispheres across the planet.

All you need to do is just ask by posting your questions in the forum for us to help you out. Don't be shy - it's better to ask even the silliest of questions as you learn more rather than not asking at all and gain nothing. What's more, someone is bound to be here to help you out - 24 hours a day, 8 days a week..... :cheesygrin:..... even during holidays.

The favor/task you ask for is granted..... Make full use of your time with all of us here as we are here for people like you.

cartoonbob

But that's my problem. I don't know the right questions to ask. Like I ultimately want to be able to create custom logos for people in the freelancer forum. I had a logo created for me there last year and it made me want to pursue this. So I guess that's my question.
So lemme ask. How would I go about creating a custom logo say from someone in the freelancer forum?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Also, while Photoshop is a very capable program, it's still rastor based. Illustrator is vector based and that is what you should use for creating custom logos.

cartoonbob

Cool thx for all the suggestions everyone. i will look into illustrator and will take a look at the EBook aswell. i will have questions in the future most likely. im not closing this post yet since more people might have suggestions, but i am taking the ones already mentioned into consideration.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
But that's my problem. I don't know the right questions to ask. Like I ultimately want to be able to create custom logos for people in the freelancer forum. I had a logo created for me there last year and it made me want to pursue this. So I guess that's my question.
So lemme ask. How would I go about creating a custom logo say from someone in the freelancer forum?

See what I mean?.... If you didn't go ahead and ask the most obvious of questions, you wouldn't get to know the answer. The best thing here is you got 4 comments from 4 individuals for the price of one guru with probably more on the way with an advise or 2 to chip in for you.....

You've heeded their excellent advises. That's good...... but I'd just like to add a bit more to the logic behind IamSam's Illustrator suggestion.....

This is and may forever be an area of great debate among most designers - What application is the best to use when creating a logo -- Photoshop or Illustrator (or other vector-based applications)?

Not that I want to bring the debate to PSG but .....

ILLUSTRATOR or other vector applications like Corel Draw, is in my opinion, the appropriate tool to use when creating logos.... or any layout design for that matter. And it's for 2 reasons -

1 - It saves you from the trouble or minimizes the trouble of editing later iterations (version changes) of the work.

For example - In Photoshop, you edit objects by first selecting the object on the layer (ALT+click layer), convert the selection to a work path so you can manipulate the anchor points, convert back to path and use the eraser or invert selection to delete unneeded parts or create a new layer and color fill the selection. You may also opt to use the eraser or other tools (transform tools, warp or pen tool, most likely) to direct edit the original shape in the first place. But in most instances, slight warping, deletion or erasure affects the shape's original quality. It would be better to simply discard the old one and create the new shape on the layer - you maintain the quality.

This is not the case in a vector apps. Depending on what application you're using, you might simply have to double the click the logo or shape within the logo to bring out the path anchor points and proceed with the edit - the color or fill will adjust to the edited shape and quality is maintained. In most cases, nothing may need to be discarded or deleted even if you need to do a major over-haul.

2 - (which is most precious) You can re-scale, transform, warp or rotate your creation without losing quality whatsoever. Be it numerously resized as big as an elephant or tiny as a pea, the object will remain true to it's shape, details and color. You can constantly resize to view the work as how it would look in various sizes during stages of editing rather than repeatedly zoom in and zoom out...

Some will say - "Create the image in the highest resolution possible". This works, no doubt. But in doing so you end up with a huge file size. The file size of a complex design done in a vector application can surprisingly be much, much smaller in file size considering the complexity, size or resolution settings of it's contents as compared to one done in PS.

I'm not saying that Photoshop can't be used to create a logo. But I will rather say that you can use Photoshop to finalize the work most especially if you need to incorporate it with or into other elements.

This is done by copying and pasting or IMPORT your logo into Photoshop as a "SMART OBJECT" . This will ensure (or at least minimize) no loss of scalable quality.

Photoshop and Illustrator works hand in hand........

MrToM

Guru
dv8

I think you're being a bit harsh on PS there buddy!

...For example - In Photoshop, you edit objects....etc etc...
What you say is true, but if you're talking vectors then PS handles them just as well as any other application.....a vector is a vector....right?

Vectors in PS are probably easier to work with too.....especially for a learner, like me.

In that statement you've assumed that a PSD file will only contain rasterized layers.....this isn't necessarily so....there is no reason why vectors need to be rasterized in a PSD file, so future 'iterations' are just as possible in PS as any other 'vector' app.

Illustrator does, understandably, give you more options, and up until recently was the only application to have 'artboards' but the actual differences between its' vectors and those of PS are virtually nothing....hence why you can export vectors from PS via a normal AI file ready to be opened in Illustrator.

Its true that 'how' vectors are used in AI is different, as are how they are organized and layered etc, which is more often than not the main stumbling block for those learning, but essentially the actual vectors are the same.....after all, a vector is just a bunch of coordinates and not afflicted with a 'quality' issue.

I'm not dismissing what you said, just adding that there is more than one side to the coin when it comes to PS and vectors.

Regards.
MrToM.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
@dv8

I think you're being a bit harsh on PS there buddy!

What you say is true, but if you're talking vectors then PS handles them just as well as any other application.....a vector is a vector...........
........I'm not dismissing what you said, just adding that there is more than one side to the coin when it comes to PS and vectors.

Regards.
MrToM.

Another "SEE WHAT I MEAN?" :rofl:....

I knew my opinions would hit a nerve somewhere.....

... and so the great debate will it continue till the end of days...

MrT.........

I've come across discussions like this which contain points like what you've just mentioned.

In the end, no one is right or wrong when it comes to this issue.

My opinions and application preference is based from my personal work or leisure experience with PS against vector applications when creating logos, layout design or stuff for myself, family and friends.

For newbies, we can only advise or influence their thinking but it's eventually up to them to decide on a preferential usage during the course of their learning and work experience.

Sorry for raising your already low blood pressure. Let's kiss and makeup .. and forget the kissing part ever happened.... :rofl:.

gedstar

Guru
Good advise all you guy's, both PS and AI have there advantages and disadvantages. In my limited experience but wouldn't a combination of both be advantageous. :shocked:
Just discovering AI myself and quite enjoying it so far and working between PS and AI seems like a good transition to me.
Just me 2 penny's worth :rolleyes:
Ged

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator

gedstar

Guru
And you get a free ticket to the padded cell :biglaff:MrToM will look after you from all corners of the room :rofl:

Don't worry we're not really mad :evil: just a little :giggle:

Last edited:

cartoonbob

OMG guys i leave for 7 hrs and return to this gold mine of information and laughter. this is why i still love to come to this site. ive seen other PS sites but this one tops the list in the community help by far. i am still open to comments and every comment added i will take into account on my journey to becoming a guru. i hope to keep this post open for a long time, not just for me but for other new comers aswell. this info can really help a lot of people. keep the comments and information rolling in guys im loving it and i imagine you are too.

Much Thanks,
Cartoonbob
Ian

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here's a problem, Photoshop can not create true vector images. Photoshop does have it's so called vector tools and can save some vector content in some formats such as psd, pdf, eps. Photoshop always saves both vector and raster information by creating vector containers with raster content. Illustrator creates vector containers with vector content. As I stated before, Photoshop is no slouch, but if your going to create logos at a professional level, you will need Illustrator.

No kissing for me!