What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lost for ideas + shameless self-plug

Adam McIntyre

Hey again guys,

I need your help. You as graphic designers, whether professional, part time or amateur hobbyists.

Disclaimer/ Here comes a shameless plug:

Today I uploaded these free bullet renders to DesignerCandies:

free-bullet-renders-pack.jpg

But I'm beginning to get lost for *useful* ideas.

I know a lot of people make mixtape covers and gangster style hip hop flyers - of which things like bullets and shell casings come in useful.

Most of my experience comes from flyer design.

But what about everyone else? What sort of content should I be creating and publishing on DesignerCandies?

If YOU could request something, what would it be?

I need to make a list :mad2:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi Adam, I'm not being harsh here but there are a few minor issues with these renders.

What I would request from any designer would be accuracy (not a pun) which helps your credibility as a designer. If I were viewing your renders in a portfolio I would have to pass.

The ammo you depict here are incorrectly marked.

This is Federal Ammo in a 270 Winchester
Screen Shot 2014-02-03 at 9.46.19 AM.png

This is Remington Ammo in a 270 Winchester.
Screen Shot 2014-02-03 at 9.55.40 AM.png

The ammo you show is 9mm or 40 Smith & Wesson.

As well as being incorrectly marked, the primers of these rounds have been struck by the firing pin or in other words fired, therefore the bullet would no longer be in the casing.
Screen Shot 2014-02-03 at 9.46.56 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-02-03 at 9.59.31 AM.png

This cartridge does not have a primer but it does have a bullet. Even in the reloading process, the primer always goes in first. It would be dangerous to add the primer after the the powder and bullet. The cartridge is useless without a primer.
Screen Shot 2014-02-03 at 9.47.43 AM.png

EDIT: I just went to the site and saw this mistake!
Screen Shot 2014-02-03 at 10.14.31 AM.png
This says 12 GA! 12 gauge is a shotshell designation not a rifle round!

First on your list, do the research and make sure your work is accurate!

Last edited:

Adam McIntyre

Thanks for the reply @IamSam

There renders were based on a bunch of images found online, so maybe that's where the inaccuracy stemmed from.

I do point out in the post
"I know nothing about guns or bullets so I can’t tell you what type of bullets these are (maybe someone else can in the comments), but I can tell you that there are three different types of bullet included in the download, each one rendered in exceptionally high quality and from multiple different angles."

I guess being a Texan you know your guns, we UK-ians don't have any. But I do agree with what you're saying about more research. Can I claim artistic license on this one? :p

As for the question itself though: what resources would you like to see produced?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Adam please forgive, I'm really not trying to "Dog on ya"!

I did not see the description on DC until after I posted, so I missed your disclaimer.

I know that we Yanks have a bit more exposure to guns than you Brits but we're not alone globally, mistakes like these will not go unnoticed.

As for resources for myself, I don't look for brushes, textures, or patterns, as these are far to easy to create for yourself.

It's already a saturated market, but what I search for the most is high res and quality reference images that don't cost me a arm and leg.

We have more farmers with guns than police with with guns. The farmers could revolt! I sometimes go shooting on my uncles farm in Northern Ireland, but we only have shotguns, no rifles.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, when I was living in the UK, they had Gun Clubs everywhere and my Dad would go and shoot Trap and Skeet. I've heard that these are not as common anymore.

besmirched

Power User
Adam please forgive, I'm really not trying to "Dog on ya"!

"Dog on ya" in Australia would be to inform the police. In prison being a dog is very bad. We would use the term "rag on ya". Anyway a super informative critique Sam.

The art is solid, though.

Nice ammo. The blunt-nose could pass for .40S&W, and the round wadcutters look like 9mm.

Agent