What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Macros (& super-macros) taken with your smart phone

ForeverFallenAngel

Power User
My 1st is a blue bottle fly covered in mites (yak!)

a4a2yge3.jpg

My 2nd is my scab I removed from my tattoo not a new tattoo I just hurt my leg :(

a6y5yry4.jpg

ForeverFallenAngel

Power User
My 2 shots for today :

1st is my son kieran's head he picked it lol

nanegazu.jpg

2nd is a mite from yesterday's fly pic as u can see from grain in kitchen towel it's very small

ujusara8.jpg

hershy314

Guru
Some cool images people. Tried taking a few myself to see what I could get, but they all came out blury. Course I'm using the wrong camera, but figured since it had a micro function that it should be good for something lol. Problem was I couldn't hold the camera still for some reason..

ForeverFallenAngel

Power User
This is type I use the lens is removed from binoculars or camera etc then stuck onto case so no fidgeting holding this n that hope that helps :)

zeve3eru.jpg

ForeverFallenAngel

Power User
Use a worktop or tripod or try putting lens closer sounds weird but some need to be literally on top of wot ur taking pic of,natural light is another good thing that helps as can see image better

hershy314

Guru
Maybe tomorrow I'll try taking a photo of something outside, tried a few other things inside the apartment and came up with crap. My camera even indicted that I took a good photo, but when I uploaded the photos onto my computer it looked just as blurry as before lol. I'm half tempted to see if the camera on my phone is any better lol.

hershy314

Guru
Ok so I grabbed my phone and snapped a real quick photo. It came out 10x better than when I used my actual camera. I think my camera just needs new batteries or is getting old. Hell the poor thing has been dropped, kicked, thrown, taken a part....maybe Santa will get me a new one.....I mean I've been good (so far). Some reason I really like this image.

IMG_20130825_225357.jpg

ForeverFallenAngel

Power User
My 2 shots for today

My 1st is a rock I found in my garden well I dug it up lol

vytudase.jpg

2nd is another rock I got from the garden which is growing its own crystals

7a5azasu.jpg

hershy314

Guru
It's really good I think you did well 

Thanks, but think I wont be taken many photos for a while. I was looking over my camera, shacked it a little and heard a lot of things rattling around so think it's time for a new camera. Not sure what one I'm going to get or when. I'd like to get a DSLR, but even a good used one is $250 or higher. Don't have that kind of money right now, just hope I don't have to take any photos for class anytime soon since my phone is my camera for right now lol.

Tom Mann

Guru
"heard a lot of things rattling around so think it's time for a new camera..." -

Don't be so sure / give up on it so easily. This could save you a lot of money.

All my big cameras make rattling sounds when you shake them. There are bits and piece inside that need a surprising amount of clearance to function properly including the iris in the lens, parts of focal plane shutters, etc.

The real question is whether or not it works, and is it consistent. You can easily check the 1st by going outside on a nice sunny day. Put the sun at your back and shoot an average scene at ISO 100, f/16. If it tells you that the optimal shutter speed is around 1/100th of a second, produces a reasonably exposed image, it passed the 1st test. This is called the "Sunny-16" rule (Google it).

The next test is to simply take exactly the same shot 10 more times and compare the resulting images. If the exposure and focus don't vary by a noticeable amount, it means that wear and tear, as well as lubrication are all probably just fine.

If it fails one of these tests, let us know.

T

hershy314

Guru
Well it's been taking very blurry pics even when the camera is sitting on something flat. I don't know if what your suggesting would work, my camera is a point and shoot. I can't adjust the F stop, or the ISO. Besides been looking for an excuse to get a better quality camera anyway. But the question become what to get.....going to take a bit to get one. Currently broke as a joke.

Tom Mann

Guru
"Well it's been taking very blurry pics even when the camera is sitting on something flat..."

Does it ever take an in-focus photo? Take a look at the EXIF data. The camera might record the focus distance for each shot. If the distance is always at infinity or the minimum distance, you are SOL. Unfortunately, failure of the focusing / lens retraction mechanism is one of the most common failure modes of P&S cameras.

"I don't know if what your suggesting would work, my camera is a point and shoot. I can't adjust the F stop, or the ISO..."

Oh. Sorry. I got confused with a post by FallenAngel, I thought it was an older SLR. If you ever get the focusing issue straightened out, we can probably work around this.

"Besides been looking for an excuse to get a better quality camera anyway. But the question become what to get.....going to take a bit to get one. Currently broke as a joke..."

I understand completely. To save some money, you may want to consider a 2nd hand camera from a reputable dealer. I would strongly recommend B&H photovideo.com in NYC. I've been dealing with them for decades without a single complaint. They have a used camera section.

Also, KEH.com is also an excellent source of used equipment.

T