What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

major banding problem

elle000

hi im new to these forums, seems like a nice helpful place

my problem is for the past few days (today is the 3rd day to be exact) i have been having severe banding issue with not only photoshop, but paint tool sai as well (and i assume any other graphics software)

i have tried everything from calibrating my monitor, messing around with photoshop settings including diabling opengl to completely reinstalling my OS to no avail. im pretty sure the issue does not lie with my monitor or graphics card (as it was working perfectly fine before)

here is a screenshot:

pvK30.png

zoomed in:

fg1ox.png

this makes it impossible for me to paint as the more i try to blend colours the harder it becomes, the shades become less and less until i cannot blend anymore. if i try to blur it, more lines/banding appear, there is just no fix. it seems odd because i can view gradients very smoothly around the web or on images i download.

i am using photoshop cs5 on windows 7 home premium x64

ive tried everything to fix this, any help would be appreciated

peta62

Guru
What exactly do you mean by lines ? I see just blur, could you, please, specify or even better show with some arrows ?
Thank you,
Peter

elle000

hello peter, here is a more clear screenshot

tejIK.png

in this picture i can only see about 5-6 shades of grey, despite using the fuzzy brush to try and blend the shades together, they wont blend :(

AbdulW87

Power User
are the brushes at full opacity or have you changed the opacity. when the brush is selected check the bar at the top (below the menu bar) to check the settings for your brush tool.

elle000

sure, here you go:

Untitled4.png

everything in this one was done with the soft brush, yet there are hard edges when i attempt to blend

peta62

Guru
Beats me, I hope somebody with more knowledge ( or imagination ) can help better, I have just few thoughts :
1. If it is not only Photoshop, but also some other pain tool outside Photoshop I would search in components common to these two software.
2. If it is fine before blending, I would check ( and even post here in the same manner as for brush ) blending setups.

elle000

What components do you suggest i look into?

and by blending setup, do you mean this:

Untitled5.png

ive never changed that in any way

Hoogle

Guru
under transfer make sure all your jitters are slid to the left in brush panel

AbdulW87

Power User
As you have re-installed the OS and PS, have you updated the your software and drivers to the latest patch/driver etc.

peta62

Guru
I thought it would be beneficial to post blending the same way as you did with brush.

YellowJack

looks like a problem with your PS program, bro. Might have to reinstall it, something similar happened to me with GIMP.

elle000

As you have re-installed the OS and PS, have you updated the your software and drivers to the latest patch/driver etc.
yup, everything is up to date

I thought it would be beneficial to post blending the same way as you did with brush.
okay sure, here you go:

Untitled6.png

looks like a problem with your PS program, bro. Might have to reinstall it, something similar happened to me with GIMP.
i have re-installed photoshop already, made no difference

peta62

Guru
I may miss something, but this is again brush with everything on 100%, one layer, how do you blend ?

elle000

i use the eyedropper tool and just pick whatever colour is on the edge of the previous stroke, then stroke some more, and repeat. It just reaches a point where the colours are hard edges for some reason and it wont blend anymore

peta62

Guru
What sample size you use for eyedropper and what is the colour setting of particular picture ?

elle000

the sample size is "point sample" and i dont know exactly what you mean by colour setting, but my pictures are usually 8bit RGB colour, but i've tried using 16 bit and the same thing happens x_x