What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making Selections and Turning Cat's Bright Orange

1976pianoman

Hello,

I am very new to PS. I would say my biggest hurdle right now is not understanding the best way to make selections. I am familiar with using the pen tool, but there must be a faster, easier way?

Take my current project for example. Now this one might be a bit more tricky than others as I am working with an image of my cat, so the lines aren't well defined and smooth. There's fur to be traced. Here is the image:

Leeloo.jpg

I would like to turn Leeloo the cat bright orange. I am using CS5.1 What would be the best way to do this? I know it's big question and it gets even bigger by me asking you to go into detail, but I would greatly appreciate a detailed response, as I am very new to using PS. Thank you!

I wouldn't bother trying to select it. Use a solid color adjustment layer. Paint in the mask, black conceals, white reveals.

Attachments

• ScreenShot001.jpg
    ScreenShot001.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 0
Hello,

I am very new to PS. I would say my biggest hurdle right now is not understanding the best way to make selections. I am familiar with using the pen tool, but there must be a faster, easier way?

Take my current project for example. Now this one might be a bit more tricky than others as I am working with an image of my cat, so the lines aren't well defined and smooth. There's fur to be traced. Here is the image:

I would like to turn Leeloo the cat bright orange. I am using CS5.1 What would be the best way to do this? I know it's big question and it gets even bigger by me asking you to go into detail, but I would greatly appreciate a detailed response, as I am very new to using PS. Thank you!

Hey, how about it?
Enjoy
Untitled-1.png

That is a really nice job, and is exactly the right color! Thank you! You must be familiar with the movie! It looks so real. It looks like I actually gave her an orange food coloring bath (which is not completely out of the question).

So you've done it now for me which I very much appreciate, but I have to do it too! I want to learn this.

So can you explain to me in detail how you did this? It appears you made a selection, but how? Thank you. :)

That is a really nice job, and is exactly the right color! Thank you! You must be familiar with the movie! It looks so real. It looks like I actually gave her an orange food coloring bath (which is not completely out of the question).

So you've done it now for me which I very much appreciate, but I have to do it too! I want to learn this.

So can you explain to me in detail how you did this? It appears you made a selection, but how? Thank you. :)

hey,

You just use brush to paint the cat. The trick is use soft brush lower flow and lower opacity and on the egde you should use smaller brush. It will help you see the feather like real color ;) After all, don't forget erase the brush color on his eyes so the picture will look real.
Practice and enjoy good luck!

Last edited:
Okay, that's simple. I was making it harder than it has to be. I will ask another selection related question on another thread with a different image.

Oh, and upon checking Google, I was wrong. This orange is not exactly the true Leeloo orange, but close! hawkeye had it almost to a t - but probably a bit too fluorescent. Strangely enough though, this last attempt gave me exactly what I wanted. I wanted to know what she would look like if I actually dyed her using orange food dye in a bath. The color you chose is probably identical to how she would turn out. I don't think I could use food coloring to mimic the color from the movie (I am not really going to do this, but was considering it).

Okay, thanks again. Will see you all on another thread. I am really needing some assistance with removing backgrounds the correct way. See ya.

Back