What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D Materials won't separate

Pearlie

Can anyone suggest a reason and solution as to why a model with 4 distinct textures (fabric, wood, metal - it's a chair) will not allow different textures to be applied to the parts even when 'Apply to matching textures' is unchecked? :devilish:

The material mesh name is the same for them all - that has to be part of the problem, but is there a way to separate them or rename them in order to put separate textures on the different parts?:banghead:

Thanks, Gurus!

Eggy

Retired Moderator
I assume it is a downloaded obj or 3DS object.
If there are 4 material layers, select one, click right and select edit material. The material image will open in a separate image. You can now open a material at choice, drag it over the existing material. The original material should now be replaced by the one of your choice.

Pearlie

Thanks, Eggy. Yes, it's an obj, but the problem is that in the layers panel, there is only the one material listed - in the materials/3D list, there are 4 entries, but of the same material name. Edit material changes them all, so does New material. Double clicking on the name to change it also changes the others to the new name. I could not right-click on the material name itself. I'm wondering if there is another format that might work with Photoshop and allow the different materials - the image is shown with separate different materials on one chair. I know how to do this 'normally' but this model or format (??) isn't allowing it.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Pearlie

Since I'm fairly new at 3D this problem kept bugging me so I tried something.
I made a mistake to choose a quite detailed 3D object, a fisher boat but hey

- Open the 3D obj in PS (in this case it's a 3DS file)

Untitled-1.jpg

As you can see there's no way to choose a material for each boat part.

Select the material and go to diffuse/edit texture

A wire frame picture will open with every part of the boat separately

Untitled-2.jpg

I wanted a wooden deck so I opened a stock wood texture. Drag the texture over the wire frame texture and make it fit as good as possible over the deck part.
Go to essential mode and apply a layer mask to the material picture and brush away roughly the excess.

Untitled-3.jpg

Go back to 3D and this is what I got

Untitled-4.jpg

In your case with only 4 different materials it should be easily done.

Pearlie

@Pearlie
As you can see there's no way to choose a material for each boat part.
Select the material and go to diffuse/edit texture
A wire frame picture will open with every part of the boat separately.

I wanted a wooden deck so I opened a stock wood texture. Drag the texture over the wire frame texture and make it fit as good as possible over the deck part.
Go to essential mode and apply a layer mask to the material picture and brush away roughly the excess.

View attachment 64651

Go back to 3D and this is what I got

View attachment 64652

In your case with only 4 different materials it should be easily done.

That's probably the only way to do this, thanks very much for showing all this, Eggy. Aside from being tedious with more than a few parts, though, this might be at least a clunky way around the problem. Or find yet another model to try!!
But how do you explain the different materials that show in the site's preview of these objects? I think it's the 3DS file that comes with the materials - maybe all the files need to be in their own folder...
Somebody is able to do it if it is shown with different material options. :banghead: It just doesn't make sense that the model is shown with different materials and yet there is only one material name in the model file itself.:mad2::question:
This model was on Turbo Squid, I've also used 3D Archive - anybody know a better site where the models work correctly? :idea:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
As far as I know PS 3D accepts only *.obj and *.3DS.
I never tried but I'm sure there are more possibilities with real 3D programs.
PS 3D is a nice feature but obviously has limitations.

Pearlie

It does have limitations indeed. 3D has come a long way in just a few versions, so I look forward to some additional flexibility, etc. Thanks again, Eggy!
LOL@'real 3D programs' - Ps is enough of a challenge for me at this point. :giggle:

MrToM

Guru
...'real 3D programs' - Ps is enough of a challenge for me at this point...
To be honest that's the problem....PS.

PS is good at what it was written for...image editing, but when it comes to 3D, well, you've already experienced its limitations on one of the most basic, (in 3D terms that is), of tasks.

I'd say that if you really wanted to experiment with 3D then don't use PS....use a free 3D package specifically written for the job....you'll find it A LOT EASIER to use than PS.....seriously!

Use the right tool for the job.
It'll teach you the normal, standard, tried and tested way to do things which is way better than wasting your time trying to understand how 'Adobe' do things...which of course will always be unique to Adobe and never adopted by anyone else.

I agree PS is a challenge, and not just for 3D either. Its like swimming through treacle whilst other software is like falling off a log....it just makes everything so difficult to do...and its holding you back.

There have been some great 3D works done here on PSG but its been agonising to watch the [slow] progress....and that's no fault of the creators, its just the amount of hoops PS makes you jump through to get anything done....and it makes you wait for it too.

Whether its worth the wait or not....hmmmm.

I played around with PS 3D for a while but found it a lot of effort for very little effect. Having used a professional 3D package for many years it just wasn't worth me pursuing it any further.

There are many free 'real' 3D software titles out there....'Blender' always seems a popular choice....'Modo' was another.....even Google 'Sketch up' would be better than PS.

Do yourself a favour and forget PS where 3D is concerned.....its complicated, frustrating, extremely slow and is so detached in its workflow from every other 'real' 3D software that its more of an example of how NOT to do 3D.

Try the 'real' stuff....you'll be surprised at just how easy it is by comparison.

Just my 2¢.

Regards.
MrToM.

Pearlie

Wow, Mr. ToM, your message is enlightening. Yes, although my computer was set up to handle 3D work, Ps is excrutiatingly slow sometimes, and then does weird stuff sometimes, too.
I have heard of Blender and SketchUp, didn't realize Blender was free. Still pretty new here and not sure my website is posted so you can see my progress in 3D other than the couple of things I've posted.
The demo reels on the Blender site show some cool stuff, though I'm not into animation. I'll look at some tutorials though and check it out. Thanks so much for your 2 cents. :thumbsup:
Uh-oh, something new and shiny.............

MrToM

Guru
No worries.

The 'Blender' website... https://www.blender.org/ ...says 'Blender is Free and Open Source Software'......so hopefully it is. :thumbsup:

Whatever.....just use something other than PS for 3D....its not really doing you any favours.

You should find LOTS of tutorials for Blender, whereas for PS 3D.....well, not so many.....which is a bit strange....I mean....if its that difficult to use you'd expect there to be more...right? :biglaff:

" Whether its worth the wait or not....hmmmm. "

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:

Pearlie

I found the site and started watching tuts. Yes, it is odd about very few tuts on Ps 3D, but luckily, Corey Barker, a fantastic Photoshop teacher whom I've followed for years, has given me a great background for the Ps 3D basics. Maybe I'm read for the next step. Thanks, Mr. ToM for the suggestion and push.:naughty:

Two days later and I've been glued to Blender tuts... I'm blown away with what it can do! So far, just watching basic videos on renderings and curious how a single piece item is textured, colored, etc. At this point guessing that it's similar to editing the texture in Ps. Danger, Will Robinson, danger..... :eek:

Last edited: