What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maybe an unusual question

jacarn

Hi everyone,

I've been playing around with the gradient map tool, and love the randomize and noise option to give me nice looking gradients for my images.... my question is, is there a way to "extract" or "split" the colors of the randomized map into its separate colors as if I was creating them manually with the "solid" option?

Thanx for any advice!

Hi Steve thanks for replying.

Maybe I should clarify my question better...
Please see the two screenshots of the gradient map dialog box. Pardon the crude arrows.
What I want to do is convert (for lack of a better word) the noise-generated gradient (noise.jpg) to its equivalent solid-generated gradient (solid.jpg).

Attachments

• solid.jpg
    solid.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 17
  • noise.jpg
    noise.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 17
OK I think I found a solution, but it is the long way....
I took a screenshot of the open gradient map dialog box, and extracted only the gradient itself from that. I created a new file the same size as the extracted gradient, which obviously is very small, and converted it to indexed mode. Then I saved the color table of this image. Then I went back to the image I wanted to use this gradient in. I selected "Load Color Table" from the swatches tab which added all the colors found in the gradient as color swatches. At last I created a new gradient in solid mode and used the eye dropper tool on the newly imported swatches to build my gradient.... Phew!

Back