What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Microsoft likes my photography. Help!

Glitch

On July 12th, I recieved a personal email from Microsoft. It appears they've gone though my online photo albums (all of them, so they looked at hundreds of pictures!) and found some they liked:

"Hello <Glitch>:

My name is T..., and I am a content coordinator with the Windows Personalization Gallery.

Blah blah ... and are interested in possibly adding some of your photos the gallery! Here are the images we found particularly interesting:

<thumbnails here>

This is fantastic news for me. Unfortunately, they don't offer any money, but it's huge exposure for someone who is trying to make the leap to professional photographer.

But I have a problem. They want photos that are "larger than 1920x1200 at 96 dpi" ... this isn't a problem for the photos they wanted except one, which I took in 2005 with a digital camera from 2002. It's only 1600x1200. I could just bring it into photoshop, enlarge it to an acceptable size, save it, and send it off, but I wanted to know, is there a better way?

On a side note, don't worry about any of the legal stuff. I am not sending them originals (I never sell or give use of those), I am to be credited on the image and in the meta data, and I still withhold my copyright to them. The contract they sent was simple and mostly was "These are really yours, right?" which they are.

Edit: The attachment has been deleted. Shouldn't matter pertaining to the question anyway.

Last edited:
hhmm first thing i am wondering is if the email you got was legitimate or not, i'm not blaming you for anything here, but sometimes you get the odd phishing scam. if you know it's legit, then that's fine, but if you arent sure, PM me about it and i shall verify.

as for resizing, photoshop enhances the image when it's resized, and i'm sure a resize in that image wont cause too much quality loss. i don't know if there is a better way but the simpler the better, as you are less likely to lose quality.

This is a good question. If it is a phishing scam, the only thing they would get is larger version of the pictures (which they could most likely get by just asking anyway). The headers look legit and it appears to be a legit @microsoft.com email address I am emailing to.

hhmm first thing i am wondering is if the email you got was legitimate or not, i'm not blaming you for anything here, but sometimes you get the odd phishing scam. if you know it's legit, then that's fine, but if you arent sure, PM me about it and i shall verify.

as for resizing, photoshop enhances the image when it's resized, and i'm sure a resize in that image wont cause too much quality loss. i don't know if there is a better way but the simpler the better, as you are less likely to lose quality.

Assuming it's not a scam, ask around to see if you can get money from it(don't ask them directly). Because as far as I know, the Photographer that took Windows XP default wallpaper got a huge sum of money for it. Just saying.

Anyway, I wish you have a good luck with them.

This is a good question. If it is a phishing scam, the only thing they would get is larger version of the pictures (which they could most likely get by just asking anyway). The headers look legit and it appears to be a legit @microsoft.com email address I am emailing to.

true enough BUT, they could make money off something you gave them for free, mind you microsoft do that anyway, hence why i use and help community projects for Linux, but let's keep on topic, if it looks legit to you then resize it. and email it to them. like i said, i am doubtful that quality loss will be an issue if photoshop is higher than version 7

and i am in agreement with fairy

i have to say though, your photography is very good. even just seeing that one picture.

Last edited:
Glitch said:
I could just bring it into photoshop, enlarge it to an acceptable size, save it, and send it off, but I wanted to know, is there a better way?
There is a better solution Genuine Fractals is now Perfect Resize 7 - onOne Software .
It's free to use for 30 days and it's probably the best program available for blowing up an image.
It's also on sale for $99, regularly $299

Back