What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need a more natural looking sunset.

faysalnals

In the first photo, I need a more natural looking sunset:
2092ff7.jpg

The second photo, I need the noise to go away or at least look better specially on the pillar:
5kityb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

gedstar

Guru
The image you posted looks like it's just a gradient added to the background, can you be a bit specific as to what you're looking, do you want a sun in the background or something like that

Tom Mann

Guru
Presumably, you took both yourself using a Fuji X-T1 camera with the 18-55 mm lens.

Both are very nice images. With respect to the first one (the one with the purple-orange gradient), the word, "natural", means different things to different people. For example, if you go to Google Images and search on { mosque silhouette}, you will find many images that look very similar to yours, but not done as well. So, as Gedstar requested, you've got to be a lot more specific about what you want / what you mean by "natural".

With respect to your 2nd image (the one with the overall yellow cast), I see almost no luminance noise on my system. I see a bit of patchy colors (especially on the pillar/tower). Having never seen it in person, I can't tell if this is due to true color variability in the stones or color noise in your system. Is this what you were talking about? Again, a more detailed description of the problem you perceive would help a lot.

Tom M

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
For the 2nd image, are you looking for something like this, but perhaps even stronger chroma noise reduction?

a) Before

5kityb-yellow_dusty_mosques-partial_silhouette-tjm01-ps02a_cropped-01_orig.jpg

b) After

5kityb-yellow_dusty_mosques-partial_silhouette-tjm01-ps02a_cropped-02_tweaked.jpg

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru
Also, did you save these pix as only JPGs, or did you also save the raw data? If the latter, that will aid enormously in obtaining the exact look you seek instead of having to work from a simple 8 bit per channel JPG

Tom M

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi faysalnals

Here is one try at just some color shifts and color noise reduction (JPEGs are notorious for color compression so as already mentioned linked raw files would allow much better results.

2092ff7-adj.jpg

faysalnals

The image you posted looks like it's just a gradient added to the background, can you be a bit specific as to what you're looking, do you want a sun in the background or something like that

I dont want anything artificial or fake added like a sun or clouds as I want to be able to say I photographed this, I just want to change the color to make it more relaxing instead of the purple, pink and strong orange color.. sorry I did not give exact details but thats because im not sure how exactly I want it to be and wanted to see if anyone had good ideas. Thank you

faysalnals

For the 2nd image, are you looking for something like this, but perhaps even stronger chroma noise reduction?

a) Before

View attachment 63080

b) After

View attachment 63081

Tom M

TYes thank you this is exactly what im looking for its really good! also, the mosque dome in the lower corner in the right has noise. When I post the image here it does not give it to you in its original size.. how can I send it to you in its original size and you can edit it for me?

Tom Mann

Guru
A raw image file is essentially the data as it comes directly from the camera's sensor with absolutely minimal processing. To get from this raw data to, say, a JPG, the camera manufacturer makes a huge number of assumptions about your preferences, and these are "cooked" into every JPG that it produces.

Once this is done:

(a) trying to change the assumptions built into the JPG almost always introduces artifacts and errors. For example, trying to make a white balance correction starting from a JPG will never be as good as if you started from the corresponding raw data file.

(b) you lose a lot of the dynamic range and image quality that actually is present in your image. For example, a JPG only has 8 bits of information for each color, whereas a raw data file typical has between 12 and 16 bits of info for each color.

Almost no one who is serious about photography and does any amount of post processing of their images uses only JPG. They use raw files and then do the conversion of the raw data in their computer (eg, in the ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) part of Photoshop and Lightroom.

Your camera has the option to save your pictures as (1) JPGs only, (2) RAF files (Fuji's raw data format) only, or, (3) a JPG and a RAF file for every image. Even if you aren't doing your own post processing right now, you might want to do this in the future, o,r if you hire someone else to do this work for you, they will always get better results if you set your camera to always save images in both formats. You have an extremely capable camera -- you should use features like this. A nice summary of its capabilities can be found here:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x-t1

A very nice introduction to raw image files is available on Wikipedia. There is a lot of info in that article, but you only have to read as much of it as you want:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raw_image_format

HTH,

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru
With respect to you sending me the files and me doing work for you for free, I'm sorry, but I made a mistake when I first saw your post -- I thought that you wanted to learn how to do such work yourself in Photoshop because that is the main mission of PhotoshopGurus.com. I did not notice that you placed it in the "Free Photoshop Requests" forum. We have some members that will do free work, but unless it is an emergency, I rarely do such requests, but I am happy to spend as much time as needed to teach Photoshop techniques.

For anyone who may want to work on this image in the way that I did, all I did was to ingest it into PS through ACR with the following settings:
contrast increased slightly
clarity decreased
black level decreased
highlilghts decreased
white level increased
slight sharpening applied
slight luminosity NR applied
lots of chroma NR applied (settings: low detail, very smooth)

There might be some other ACR settings that I applied, but I think these are the major ones.

Hope that helped,

Tom M

faysalnals

With respect to you sending me the files and me doing work for you for free, I'm sorry, but I made a mistake when I first saw your post -- I thought that you wanted to learn how to do such work yourself in Photoshop because that is the main mission of PhotoshopGurus.com. I did not notice that you placed it in the "Free Photoshop Requests" forum. We have some members that will do free work, but unless it is an emergency, I rarely do such requests, but I am happy to spend as much time as needed to teach Photoshop techniques.

For anyone who may want to work on this image in the way that I did, all I did was to ingest it into PS through ACR with the following settings:
contrast increased slightly
clarity decreased
black level decreased
highlilghts decreased
white level increased
slight sharpening applied
slight luminosity NR applied
lots of chroma NR applied (settings: low detail, very smooth)

There might be some other ACR settings that I applied, but I think these are the major ones.

Hope that helped,

Tom M

Thank you for all that information, I have the tools and the best camera but not the experience with photography so all this is new to me.. I will check the links and learn about raw files. I also do not have photoshop propgram or ever used one.. I need the picture edited because a company asked for the link of my flickr account and I need to add this photo without the noise in it. I honestly wouldnt mind paying as I really need this and asked many people but did not get any help.