What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help in my wallpaper restoration project

MMJ

I have wallpaper restoration project under work at the moment and there are some problems which I am unable to solve. English is not my native so there might be some mistyping etc. :)

So I have an picture of this old wallpaper and my customers wants that the new wallpaper looks as much the original one as can. As I say the wallpaper is OLD and the picture of it and the condition of that old wallpaper is the main problem here.

The wallpaper itself includes patterning which has been very simplified in my example picture below. Problem is with the back color here. The colors in the back are not balanced as they give me different color information values in different parts of the wallpaper. If I put the wallpaper in the wall now as it is, back color would be uneven between sheets.

In the example picture I made, A. represents one point which give me different values than point B. As you understand they should give even close to the same values.

tapetti.jpg

So I need to balance the back color so that it is more at the same value in every point of the wallpaper but in that way that it would not effect color of the patterns. The patterns are more complicated and in different colors in the original image. I can't give you the original image because of copyrights.

So if you have any ideas how I am able to do this feel free to tell. I really need your help in this one :)

iDad

Guru
Looks like a gradient or flash made the color difference, just select all the background and place a point A or B color overlay on it

Last edited:

MMJ

Thank you for trying help me out here but it seems like you don't fully understand the case.

So I got a permission to use picture of the wallpaper and I hope it help you more to understand this situation.

Original in smaller size:

original.jpg

Here you can see how complex the pattern really is.

I made equalize adjustment to picture to show the differences even more clearly:

example.jpg

I hope these pictures help you to understand the case more.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MMJ said:
Thank you for trying help me out here but it seems like you don't fully understand the case.
Yes, I think everyone who responded did understand your case and gave appropriate responses.

To reiterate iDads (and Paul's) response, set/select your foreground color to the color you wish the background to be. (iDad said choose the colors A or B that you pointed out in your example).
Make a selection of the background and fill. (iDad said use a color overlay) (there are several ways to do this)

The hard part will be making the selection! You may have to use two or more selections to isolate the pattern.

Reactions: MMJ
Could you tell us how exactly you are going to be printing this.

Why, if you have contact with person/company whom have the copyrights to this pattern, do you need to restore it? I am positive I have seen this pattern on wallpaper before, and can't believe that a print so popular would be stopped, but maybe I'm wrong.

Trying to even out the tones, for something so important, will always be for nothing if you save the image as jpeg. That said, the only way of knowing you have accurately evened it out, is to recreate the pattern in a program like illustrator. The only kind of image I would send to a printers is a vector, otherwise you may as well print it onto a load of A4 at home, and slap that on the wall.

Last edited:

ibclare

Queen Bee
I will not add to any advice about selection. But if I had to do this complicated restore, I would select a small area of the design, do the work there, then duplicate it to recreate the entire pattern.

I hope you have this in a higher resolution though. As I view it in Photoshop, the colors bleed into one another and will be next to impossible to separate no matter how painstaking you are. But if it is worth it to you, go for it. Stick to a portion which is representative of the whole design.