What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

need help on feathering (Vignetting)

robiss

I have a small photo, similar to the image at the bottom; I want to insert it into another image...OK, I can do that... I want to feather the oval image that was inserted, to make it seamless with the larger [background] image.

I have attempted to do this in both Elements-9 & CS5... I cannot get the "feathering" option to work... I have tried every (IMO) possible combo of layering & masks... the feathering effect never happens..??... I found this link, which does a decent job of explaining the process; but it just doesn't work for me..!!

I'm not sure about this part... maybe this is where I'm screwing up..??
black out the background of our cropping layer... then making the selection active on a new layer. Invert the selection so you can (option-delete) fill the non-print areas with black.

from this link... he says "a simple" process"... OK... maybe after you've DONE it once..!!
----sorry, no link to the site; I can't post active links, yet-----
it's at graphic-design.com---Photoshop---feathering.html
(replace the --- with forward /)

thanks for your help... Robert

photo example of insert...... 01.jpg

...here's the image I need to feather... the inserted headshot was already vignetted with a different utility... now I need to feather it as an insert, to eliminate the seams... seems like it should be a straightforward process; but the feathering command doesn't ever do anything..??... see my previous post for more details.... thankx...Rob

zz00-Rina=NOFEATHER.jpg

Has your secondary image got that white border on or can it be removed.

...as I said in my original post... I have tried every possible combination of layers, layers with images, cropped layers, masking layers... etc... have spent over 4 hours just today trying to just get the feather command to work... it never does... all layers are unlocked... the marquee tool 'ants' border will decrease in size, by the radius size of the "feather radius" pixels selected; but there is never any feathering effect..??... it does exactly the same thing on both CS5 & Elements-9... separate pc's.... so I know it's some stupid thing I'm missing, somewhere..??

I found this page on feathering; which seems to be very informative... [h=2]The Gentle Art of Feathering[/h]altho, I'm not sure about this part... maybe this is where I'm screwing up..??
black out the background of our cropping layer... then making the selection active on a new layer. Invert the selection so you can (option-delete) fill the non-print areas with black.

not sure I know what I'm doing with "making the (layer) selection active"... he doesn't explain that.

thanks again... Robt

Hoogle wrote
>>Has your secondary image got that white border on or can it be removed

not sure which you call 2nd image... the smaller headshot does have a vignetted white [oval] border; which was created by another photo utility... originally a jpeg image, but everything has been converted to psd format.

Here is a smart object template I have made for you
I have labeled 2 layers place images here larger 1 is bottom layer the upper layer is for the smaller picture
I have included a blue layer just so you can see the feather in background .
To place your images double click the layers that say place images here this will bring up a new window drag your images from the dektop or a folder directly into it go to file save then file close and you will see that will update the template use the move tool to position everything.
on the spare layers you can select them all by control and clicking on each layer not the preview icon the text part and go to edit > free transform to resize the frames.

This is just a guide though just to show you how I would do it included an extra border which you can turn off if you like.
Also included a straight white frame but you can remove that by enlarging the 1st smart oblect layer.
View attachment Untitled-1.psd
Ps I have no idea what size your images are that your using so the whole psd may need resizing

...wow...I appreciate your effort making the mask... everything seemed to work fine... I resized & adjusted your file, & everything goes well, up to the last step (my image { including your layers} now appears as my photo posted above)... I use the elliptical marquee tool to select the area I want to feather; but I can no longer MOVE the oval 'ants' over the photo insert... when I re-click, it starts a 2nd trace..??.. I can "deselect" & start over; but I see no way to move the ellipse over the insert photo..??... anyway... I tried the feather option, even tho the 'ants' oval wasn't positioned correctly; but still no feathering occurred..??... on any layer... I will try your file with my CS5 tomorrow; maybe I will get different results, but it is weird that the feathering doesn't work at all... not once... this seems far more complicated than I ever would have thought... I've spent less time on 50-image montages..!!

thankx again for all your help... Robt

My psd has the feather already included so not sure why your trying to add to it you can see it above the blue layer you should have deleted. If you still havent worked it out then upload the psd with your images in and I will take a look at it

obviously I have a lot of fundamentals to grasp yet... my hope is to be able to do several dozen of similar photos... I assume I could use your file for any similar photo..??... just change sizing/ location of vignette as needed..??... it was just an oversight on moving the ellipse...as I didn't change to 'move' mode... but how do I get your feathered layer to apply to the final image.,.??

here's my psd file [64 mb] thankx... Robt

weird I thought we had a 22MB limit on uploaded files here. OK downloading it now to check it out Hoping it has not been altered to much. But then I guess it will be easier to start a fresh with your images. Do you need it back in a psd or will a jpeg or png be ok

well I dont know what you have done with my psd mine involved double clicking 2 layers which would have brought up a blank canfas open your images into there and go to file save and then file close and you would have had it all done but not to worry easily fixed all I did was use the marquee tool draw a shape around your secondary image but larger filled with white then went to filter> blur> gaussian blur and then blended your image in with the feather. to get this if it is what you want then I will upload the psd back for you .
Capture.PNG

OOps just noticed I need my feather to be a bit bigger I didnt notice the transparant pixels on the right I dont know why you erased your original image.
can you upload the original 2 images not PSD and I will re do them for you.
No offence But I would rather do it properly and give you a psd for reference so you can learn how to do it properly in future.

On a side note this is really easy to do and will only take a couple of mins

...I put the file on my site... I'm getting too burnt out to continue tonite... been up since 4am... I'm beginning to see double on my display... will continue tomorrow... good thing Feb.29 only comes once every 4 yrs..!!... Robt

LOL 1st of March here Ok I will do it for you tomorrow if you like I will even record myself doing it and make a tutorial video on the fly.

...I just noticed your last post... here's my 2 original images... the insert is still the original square format.

thx once agin... Robt JPEG-1 JPEG-2

not sure when this will appear... as they must think I'm spamming the site... my last post got squelched.

note the insert image was downsized a bit before I put it on the main image... you'll probably figure that out... Rob

Back