What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need photoshopper to make Line drawing

Johnmill

Hi,

I would like this line drawing of "beauty":
Beauty.png
In the same style and quality as this one from "beast":
The Beast.png
I'm going to print T-shirt's for me and my little sister, for a sports tournament. Were a team called Beauty and the Beast, because she loves that movie.

Many thanks!

Johnmill,
Are you a Photoshop user or just here requesting free work? This forum's purpose is to assist the Photoshop user in becoming proficient with the software and helping solve problems. I notice this is your first post.

I've tried to make it myself, thats the version of beauty above. But I couldnt find out how to get the same style as the other one. Maybe someone could explain how I can do it myself.

What version of PS do you have?

Not sure if you will need permission to print the Beast...

You may be better off re doing the pair of them in a similar style.

I agree with Inkz, make sure your not dealing with copyrighted material.

I believe the "Beast" line drawing was created in Illustrator or a similar program. The effect is not impossible in Photoshop but would be a very tedious endeavor. It's not a matter of just simple tapered brush strokes (simulated pressure) in Ps, each "line" section would be a drawn shape. You would use the pen tool to draw the shapes and then fill.

Crude line drawing....

Drawing_01.png

Shape drawn with pen tool and filled with black...

Drawing_02.png

(at)IamSam: Thats great! Can you give me a step by step on how to do that? Thats exactly the style I'm looking for

Not as easy as giving step by step instructions. However, Google Tineye reports 69 other places using the Beast image, so I would probably say your safe.

Johnmill said:
(at)IamSam: Thats great! Can you give me a step by step on how to do that? Thats exactly the style I'm looking for

As Larry stated this is not as easy as a simple step by step! You need to know how to use the pen tool.........period!

Here is a GoogleTube page full of video TUTORIALS you can use to help you learn the Pen Tool!

This TUTORIAL is one of my favorite written tuts.

Once you figure out the Pen Tool, you will see what I did in my example I provided above. It's just a matter of outlining the separate parts of the crude line drawing to match the style of the "Beast" line drawing you provided.

Good luck!

Hello,
PS convert thick lines to smooth stylish lines using paths tutorial figs.jpg
The advice that the above real Photoshop Gurus gave you is essential. That said, mastering pen tools in Photoshop may be one of the challenging tasks.

I have an approach that may be a bit more friendly. Although you also need to use the Pen Tool, most of the work (path creation) will be done automatically.

Here is the breakdown:
  1. Open your image in PS (I dragged the image onto the 300ppi empty canvas, and crop out the boundary, leaving the 300ppi image).
  2. Using Levels directly applied on the image, make the stroke simplest: no fuzzy noise here and there
  3. Open the CHANNEL panel and Command (Control in PC) click the small icon on the RGB channel layer to select all the white pixels in the image (“marching ants” will show)
  4. Top Menu > Select > Inverse (to select all non-white pixels)
  5. With the marching ants active, open the PATHS panel and Option (Alt in PC) click the “Make Work Path from Selection” icon at the bottom of the PATHS panel. (Don’t forget the Option key) Put 2 as the Tolerance value (too small like 0.5 will make too many anchor points and too large like 5 will make too much distortion: 2 is what I found optimal for this image) * Once Work path is generated, you can turn off the selection marching ants by Command-D.
  6. Open LAYERS panel, and make a new layer on top of the original image layer
  7. Fill the new layer with black
  8. Click “Add layer Mask” button at the bottom TWICE (the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] time will generate a Vector Mask) and remove the middle “layer mask”
  9. At this point your image will look like Fig 1 (look only at the figure, not the layer structures).
Now is time to modify the simple paths using the Pen Tool. As the paths were all created for you automatically, all you need to do is to change a few anchor points and their direction handles. You want to mainly focus on the blunt ends of the lines (make them stylishly curved and pointed ends) and some jagged sides of the lines (make them smooth).

1. Make the original image layer invisible (if you don’t have a WHITE-filled background layer, create one below the Vector-masked layer)
  2. Click and select the Vector Mask on the LAYERS panel (NOT the image icon of the layer)
  3. Select the Pen Tool (P)
  4. Make sure you know one important modifier here: Command (Control in PC) key will temporarily switch your pen tool to direct selection tool (open arrow) that will be used to select anchor points and handles.
  5. With Pen Tool selected, hold down Command key to change to Direct selection tool and drag the tip/end of any blunt line and see a few anchor points are selected (dark points)
  6. Release the Command key to return the Pen Tool, and RIGHT click precisely on the anchor point to delete: select Delete the Anchor Point (The point is that you want only a single anchor point for each of the sharp/pointed line end)
  7. Sometimes, you may get a wildly(!) altered line and crazily located handles: With Command Key down (Direct selection Tool), change the handles (both length and position) to make the final line stylish and pointy. (THIS IS THE PART THAT YOU WILL NEED TO WORK ON TO GET THE HANG OF IT: with some practice you can get it relatively quickly)
  8. Keep doing this until you find the image satisfying you. (My hastily generated example is shown in Fig 2.)
The fact remains that you will need to learn some aspect of Pen Tool as other gurus here pointed out. But, with the Paths all created for you automatically, you will need to work on the final touches, which will save you time.

* I added a small blob of red on the new layer for the red lips

Good Luck!

You are a god...

I've managed to make this with your instructions in just 40 minutes. It lacks a certain finesse (like yours) but for my doing it is epic! PERFECTLY EXPLAINED!

Beauty.png

Dit I mentioned you were a god to me now?

Sixteen million-billion thanks!

Nicely done. Glad you learned something. Many Thanks to rev for the assist.

Just to add.... use the same shade of rose red in the Beast image on Belle's lips.

Johnmill,
You're welcome, sixteen million-billion times ^_^
That you could generate such a nice image within 40 minutes tells me you are really a quick learner, indeed.
It was so nice to see that you wanted to do this to help your sister: quite touching to me.

I would like to thank dv8_fx (the Administrator) for a kind encouragement to both the OP and myself.
Let's all have a good day.
Rev

Back