What's new

New Camera RAW adjustment sliders issue.

RichardB

Hello,
I wondered if anyone had this issue with the new Camera RAW version 12. All adjustment sliders have a delay of 2 or 3 seconds before the slider moves and the image shows the changes. I reverted to Camera RAW 11.4.0 (I think it is) that was issued with Photoshop 2019 and all adjustment sliders now operate as they should (within Photoshop 2020). Has anyone got any idea of why this is occurring - looks to me like the new Camera RAW wants to use a lot more available memory resources somehow ??? But I'm puzzled as to what exactly is going on here.
Richard

PRESTON

Yesterday it seemed to me too that there was a delay
today a new camera update has been released
download and see if it's ok

Schermata 2019-11-09 alle 15.53.39.png

RichardB

Hello Preston,
Thank you for that information. However when I check my Adobe Creative Cloud desktop application it tells me that I have the current version of Camera RAW installed and there is no prompt for a new version ??? Strange thing is - I have not got the latest version installed !!! I am using Camera RAW version 11.4.1 within Photoshop 2020. Maybe I need to go and download Camera RAW version 12 and install it. Is the 'new' version 12.0 or have they changed the version number above version 12.0 ??
Thanks for the reply.
Richard

RichardB

Hello Preston,
Just got back home and read your reply. I downloaded Camera RAW 12.0 from the link and installed it. But - the same issues are there and Camera RAW adjustment sliders are all slow to action - a delay of 2 to 3 seconds or more when clicked and moved. So I reverted again to Camera RAW 11.4.1 (in Photoshop 2020) and all adjustment sliders work perfectly and respond immediately to a click and drag. I have decided not to use Camera RAW 12.0 until Adobe resolve the issues. There are others who have the same problems and Camera RAW 12 overall seems to be slow to respond as if it has insufficient memory resources available. Yet - Camera RAW 11.4.1 works perfectly.
Richard

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi Richard
Seems as if Lightroom with the 12.0 has the same problems for some users as well: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom-extremely-slow-after-nov-update

Since it seems to be a subset of users, it may be specific to certain systems e.g. certain OS or certain graphics cards etc. There are probably troubleshooting steps you could take yet it may take until Adobe actually solves the problem.

Some standard troubleshooting techniques is the turn off the graphics acceleration, start the computer in safe mode (possible interactions with non Adobe software products), not load any plusgins, reset preferences, etc. Basically minimize the possible other interactions on your computer and see if you can find the "light switch" that causes it to be slower. That would not solve your problem yet could point Adobe to the right place to look to fix the bug. On the other hand.

Sorry I could not be of more help
John Wheeler

RichardB

Hello John,
Thank you for the reply. Yes - I did initially turn off the graphics acceleration here but - it made no difference. The issue is definitely something that Camera RAW 12 is doing because Camera RAW 11.4.1 (the previous version) is absolutely fine within Photoshop 2020. I decided - rather than going through all the (lengthy) process of elimination that I would just continue with Camera RAW 11.4.1 and wait until Adobe announces a 'fix' for this But I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my query - thank you very much.
Richard

thebestcpu

Guru
You're welcome Richard. I am typically called a late adopter and not upgrading until a couple "dot" updates are released because it is not unusual for new OSes or new releases of software to have a few issues needed fixes.
Just haven't found a real need for me to be on the "bleeding" edge of technology so to speak :) I will look for those dot updates before making the move myself.

RichardB

Hello again John,
Yes - I guess there are disadvantages to being the first to try out new software upgrades when you have a perfectly functional application to start with !!! But to be fair - the new Photoshop 2020 seems quite happy with the previous Camera RAW plug in. I haven't (yet !!) found any issues with it. Mind you - still reading up on what the 2020 upgrade has changed, added or improved upon !!!
Thanks again.
Regards,
Richard

RichardB

Hello John,
Just to update you (and anyone else interested with the same problem) I was advised in another Photoshop related Forum that if I had Acronis True Image installed (which I do) then if I turned off 'Acronis Active Protection Service' within the application then the Camera RAW 12 lagging delays would stop. I did - and - problem cured immediately. Don't ask me why - I have not a clue. But - it all works perfectly now.
Regards,
Richard

RichardB

Hello John,
I cannot take the credit for this fix - it was Volker Brecht on the Photoshop Family Forum that came up with it. All kudos must go to him. I have no idea how he discovered the solution though he did not say.
Regards,
Richard