What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Camera RAW adjustment sliders issue.

RichardB

Hello,
I wondered if anyone had this issue with the new Camera RAW version 12. All adjustment sliders have a delay of 2 or 3 seconds before the slider moves and the image shows the changes. I reverted to Camera RAW 11.4.0 (I think it is) that was issued with Photoshop 2019 and all adjustment sliders now operate as they should (within Photoshop 2020). Has anyone got any idea of why this is occurring - looks to me like the new Camera RAW wants to use a lot more available memory resources somehow ??? But I'm puzzled as to what exactly is going on here.
Richard

Yesterday it seemed to me too that there was a delay
today a new camera update has been released
download and see if it's ok

Schermata 2019-11-09 alle 15.53.39.png

Hello Preston,
Thank you for that information. However when I check my Adobe Creative Cloud desktop application it tells me that I have the current version of Camera RAW installed and there is no prompt for a new version ??? Strange thing is - I have not got the latest version installed !!! I am using Camera RAW version 11.4.1 within Photoshop 2020. Maybe I need to go and download Camera RAW version 12 and install it. Is the 'new' version 12.0 or have they changed the version number above version 12.0 ??
Thanks for the reply.
Richard

Hello Preston,
Just got back home and read your reply. I downloaded Camera RAW 12.0 from the link and installed it. But - the same issues are there and Camera RAW adjustment sliders are all slow to action - a delay of 2 to 3 seconds or more when clicked and moved. So I reverted again to Camera RAW 11.4.1 (in Photoshop 2020) and all adjustment sliders work perfectly and respond immediately to a click and drag. I have decided not to use Camera RAW 12.0 until Adobe resolve the issues. There are others who have the same problems and Camera RAW 12 overall seems to be slow to respond as if it has insufficient memory resources available. Yet - Camera RAW 11.4.1 works perfectly.
Richard

Hi Richard
Seems as if Lightroom with the 12.0 has the same problems for some users as well: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom-extremely-slow-after-nov-update

Since it seems to be a subset of users, it may be specific to certain systems e.g. certain OS or certain graphics cards etc. There are probably troubleshooting steps you could take yet it may take until Adobe actually solves the problem.

Some standard troubleshooting techniques is the turn off the graphics acceleration, start the computer in safe mode (possible interactions with non Adobe software products), not load any plusgins, reset preferences, etc. Basically minimize the possible other interactions on your computer and see if you can find the "light switch" that causes it to be slower. That would not solve your problem yet could point Adobe to the right place to look to fix the bug. On the other hand.

Sorry I could not be of more help
John Wheeler

Hello John,
Thank you for the reply. Yes - I did initially turn off the graphics acceleration here but - it made no difference. The issue is definitely something that Camera RAW 12 is doing because Camera RAW 11.4.1 (the previous version) is absolutely fine within Photoshop 2020. I decided - rather than going through all the (lengthy) process of elimination that I would just continue with Camera RAW 11.4.1 and wait until Adobe announces a 'fix' for this But I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my query - thank you very much.
Richard

You're welcome Richard. I am typically called a late adopter and not upgrading until a couple "dot" updates are released because it is not unusual for new OSes or new releases of software to have a few issues needed fixes.
Just haven't found a real need for me to be on the "bleeding" edge of technology so to speak :) I will look for those dot updates before making the move myself.

Hello again John,
Yes - I guess there are disadvantages to being the first to try out new software upgrades when you have a perfectly functional application to start with !!! But to be fair - the new Photoshop 2020 seems quite happy with the previous Camera RAW plug in. I haven't (yet !!) found any issues with it. Mind you - still reading up on what the 2020 upgrade has changed, added or improved upon !!!
Thanks again.
Regards,
Richard

Hello John,
Just to update you (and anyone else interested with the same problem) I was advised in another Photoshop related Forum that if I had Acronis True Image installed (which I do) then if I turned off 'Acronis Active Protection Service' within the application then the Camera RAW 12 lagging delays would stop. I did - and - problem cured immediately. Don't ask me why - I have not a clue. But - it all works perfectly now.
Regards,
Richard

Hello John,
I cannot take the credit for this fix - it was Volker Brecht on the Photoshop Family Forum that came up with it. All kudos must go to him. I have no idea how he discovered the solution though he did not say.
Regards,
Richard

Richard,

I just updated to ACR v. 12.1 today (on a Win PC currently running Ps CC 2019). Did so to be able to process raw images from a new Olympus EM5 Mk iii (which only started being supported with ACR v. 12 b/c the Oly is a newly released - Nov. 2019 - camera).

As soon as I updated to ACR v. 12.1 I had the same problem you did wrt my ACR sliders not moving (at all). Then, some of them would make radical large (not incremental) hops to very large numbers on the slider scale. It was impossible to control sliders and process images (and I'm on a tight deadline to complete a photo project by this weekend). I always start in ACR then move to Ps layers for creativizing....

I found the post above about Acronis (which I also run). And, did what the poster suggested (it helped). However, I don't like the idea of having to have any malware protection for my backups system turned off in order for ACR to work as it should. I know that's not your issue. But does anyone here know how to plant a bug in an Adobe developer's ear (and, keyboard) to expedite a fix for this as soon as possible? Including, but not limited to, member Preston who has replied above.... Thx for any helpful suggestions re: how to achieve such a fix to ACR so my Acronis Security feature can be turned back on quickly!

Hi Fotomaker,
Instead of having to turn off Acronis True Image Active Protection altogether - you can set the Acronis Active Protection service to exclude Photoshop, Lightroom and Bridge only (all that use Camera RAW) within the Active Protection option 'Manage Processes'. Simply add them to the Monitored Services list. As far as I am aware, Adobe have not resolved this issue but I am not 100% sure about that. Your message is dated as today (26th December) so I can only presume you are running the latest version of ACR and thus Adobe have not yet resolved this issue.
** EDIT - Again Volker Brecht was the guy who highlighted this fix and I cannot take the credit.
Merry Christmas !!
Regards,
Richard

Last edited:
Thanks for your note, Richard. I just did what you suggested. Turned the Acronis True Image back to "On" and just added Ps CC to the list of exclusions. For some reason, Bridge & Lightroom don't seem to be affected by the ACR v. 12.1 rel. update. Only ACR operating with Ps CC (I'm currently on 2019 - but plan to migrate to 2020 after I do my update from Win 7 to Win 10 - oh, aren't I in for a bunch of fun experiences...). If Adobe hasn't corrected the ACR code by the time (seems inelegant to me, but I don't code, so what do I know...) I do that Win 10/Ps CC 2020 double whammy update I'll go back in to ATI and "add" Ps CC 2020 to the list there also. Danke to Volker!!! Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you too! BTW, I've passed this info on to 2 others who were grappling with finding a fix also....

Fantastic Guys, I've had this same problem for months now and couldn't find a solution in Photoshop preferences.
Ironically I had Acronis 2018 installed on my computer but never used it.
Uninstalled it, rebooted and bobs your uncle Camera Raw v12.2 is back to normal.
Can't thank this forum enough and special thanks to Volker Brecht.

Same thing was happening to me. Uninstalled PS Bridge Reverted CR to 11 to no avail. It was acronis. Uninstalled and never going to install that piece of crap again.

As a continuing footnote to this Acronis True Image saga - I had Acronis True Image 2020 on my PC with Photoshop excluded in the Protection Menu. All was OK. UNTILL I recently upgraded to Acronis True Image 2021. All the Camera RAW issues started again - lagging loading and lagging adjustment sliders. I double checked in Acronis that Photoshop was still excluded in the Protection Menu and it was. I then started thinking it was something else now causing the issue but in the end - I uninstalled Acronis True Image 2021 and the problems with Camera RAW loads disappeared again. So beware - if you upgrade to Acronis True Image 2021 you will get the issues again with Camera RAW. Looks like Acronis have somehow embedded the 'protection' methods within their software and Photoshop cannot be excluded any longer. The only solution (that I can see) is to completely uninstall Acronis True Image 2021.
Richard