What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bren

I have just installed Photoshop ( thank you Father Christmas) and can't wait to get started.

I have a bar / restaurant in SW France. I speak English.

I will use PS for publicity projects like my website, flyers and posters. My first job is to create pics like the one attached. The technique is either gradient or graduation I think. gradientWithChair.jpg I would be glad of any advice that you would like to give so that I can steam ahead with it.

I look forward to exploring your forum, I think it will be a lot of fun.

Bren

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG. Nice to have you aboard.

As for your question.
For control and edit ability, I would use a Solid Color fill layer, set to a sampled color from the image, over the original image and then use it's layer mask to add the gradient with the Gradient Tool set to a foreground to transparent preset, linear gradient, and black as the foreground color.

Before
Screen Shot 2018-12-26 at 7.55.59 AM.png

After
Screen Shot 2018-12-26 at 7.56.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-26 at 7.56.20 AM.png

Bren

Wow! Thank you so much, you're very kind to give such detail, it's much appreciated.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Wow! Thank you so much, you're very kind to give such detail, it's much appreciated.
Your very welcome. If you have any more questions let us know.

I see that I forgot to inform you how to get a Solid Color Fill layer.

One
Screen Shot 2018-12-26 at 8.16.18 AM.png

Or two, click and select from the half moon icon located at the bottom of the layers panel.
Screen Shot 2018-12-26 at 8.17.39 AM.png

Bren

Thank you, I guessed it would be like AI but haven't had a chance to try yet as the restaurant is open today. I will be up bright and early tomorrow!