What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D New Puter, New Aps, New pics -- Wheee!

Raven

Power User
8D I finally got my new computer (Alienware customized Aurora City with 2 G RAM, Athlon64 FX-55, and the ATI X800 XT Plat. Ed. card -- works very nicely!) and can FINALLY start playing with some 3D aps.

Here's a few first pics I made playing with some 3D aps. I'm new to all of these aps and just starting out.

---Maya

Another one. One of the craft models (saucer shape) was allowed use from Stu (kiwi) all the rest are mine.
---Maya

Taking a stab at a landscape....
---Maya

Thanks very much for taking the time to give them a look and reply! :D
Appreciated!
---Maya

YEE-HA! Aren't you having fun! 3D is a ball and I like them all! It would be great to follow your progress. My bet is that your imagery will grow in exponential complexity and sophistication.

:perfect: :} :} :perfect:

Excellent stuff, they're all nicely rendered.

As Welles noted, 3D is a gas, and the further you get into it, the possibilities are only restricted by your imagination. That doesn't look like a problem. :D

What apps do you have at your disposal?

Please keep showing your work. I'd really like to see them as you progress.

:D Yep, Welles, I am having a BLAST! Thanks for your comments and suggestions along the way. I'm starting out in little steps, I have several aps to work with and all are really new to me so I'm juggling with all their various methods = but also advantages unique to each. SO MUCH FUN!

Thanks for your reply too, SCync, and in answer about what 3D aps I have to use:

C4D 8.5 with the studio bundle and BP, ZBrush2, MJW3, Terragen, Vue4Pro, Poser5.
I have for 2D aps PS CS, Painter9, and XaraX1 I use for vector work.

I've got sooooo much to learn with all the 3D aps -- I will be happy to share my discoveries along the way = the learning never stops! 8D

---Maya :D

Raven said:
C4D 8.5 with the studio bundle and BP, ZBrush2, MJW3, Terragen, Vue4Pro, Poser5.
I have for 2D aps PS CS, Painter9, and XaraX1 I use for vector work.

That's a quality set of tools, you have there, Maya. There's enough to keep you learning and exploring for years. I bought ZBrush just before Christmas and am only now getting used to the interface and where everything is.

I think you'll really enjoy XaraX too. Such an overlooked app, at such a reasonable price, with a great community of folks, as you probably know at http://talkgraphics.com/eve

Sure makes learning and creating a lot of fun though, having new toys, that is. :D

You got some great looking images there, Raven. Great work, buddy. Now send that new box to me so I can try. :D . . . ;)

:D Thanks SCync -- yeah, I've needed the better puter for a long time and had to hold off starting with these aps as my old puter couldn't handle them at all (ZBrush just about cooked my cpu!) but now I've got plenty of computing power and RAM and a decent graphics card and a very well-cooled system so I will be finally enjoying ZBrush2. 8D I agree that the interface takes a lot of getting used to and seems mystifying in the beginning...but you'll get used to it pretty soon. ZBrush is enormous fun.

I'm well acquainted with XaraX and have used it for several years -- yep, the group of people over on TG are really cool and helpful.

------
Thanks there Lee! :D ...but I'm not gonna part with this new puter! :rofl: ;) It is a dream to use -- seriously. I looked into many different types and am very glad I chose Alienware. I haven't had any issues even with using the XP Pro with the SP2 which has a reputation of troubles. Everything works smooth as silk and I'm surprised at the speed which the aps work on it. Like going from a horse and buggy puter to a race car version! :D At last I can have some 3D fun!

---Maya

I build custom computers, and Alienware is very well known to me -- congratulations on purchasing a fine piece of equipment there Raven!! You paid a pretty penny for it too!! Does it have the liquid cooling system? Last time I read anything on Alienware, they were coming out with a new set-up on their liquid cooling system -- fully covered and integrated with digital read-out and temp settings! B7

I'm jealous!! I have only been able to build for other people so far, and don't have the money to build mine yet (I say yet with reason). Once I have saved enough, I will be building mine with the liquid cooling system in it. I don't know if I will have a digital readout or not, but it WILL be liquid cooled!! :perfect:

Yep, Alienware isn't inexpensive, but there are a lot of differences in the way they build them compared to many other brands out there, and components' considerations = like the cooling issue...one apparently many people don't think much about, but which I found early on VERY important. Right here I must say I'm no computer expert and I'm in awe of those who build their own machines. It takes a lot of knowledge to do that well. There are so many variables in how components interact with each other. It's not enough to just slap things together and figure they should work.......

Alienware.com builds excellent gaming systems but also workstations for many uses--graphics creation is my main need...but I wanted a bit of fun style to go with it...after all, I'm spending a lot of time with this beast. ;) Speed to a certain degree was wanted, but mainly more RAM (I got 2 GB to start, but can add more later) the functioning with these 3D aps and their upgrades, and a great graphics card to keep up with it all was foremost -- and I wanted a puter which could do the work and not melt down. I could have chosen the Pentium4 or perhaps the Xeon -- if gaming and speed was most important -- but after consideration for my use I felt the AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 was best for my graphics. This also runs cooler than the Pentiums...gamers like to overclock the Pentiums and I wonder how long they might last under such conditions.... The Athlon runs cool and so far can handle anything I throw at it. Whenever 64-bit comes into play in aps then that will be an advantage also. I didn't need the liquid cooling in my system but I do have the "Alien Ice" cooling system in there = a ton of fans, and the big case is roomy and allows for excellent airflow and ventillation, especially with their ultra neat and tidy wiring -- it really is a thing of beauty inside (took the side panel off to see for myself when I got it ;) ) My system is built around the "Aurora City 17" base (the next step up would have been the Aurora ALX system which does use the liquid cooling and costs even more, but I didn't need it with the Athlon and have no need to overclock)...and yeah I just had to have that "Predator" style case --- it's something else, I was surprised at how huge this puter is---WOW. It glows eerily in green from the vents all around as well as a very bright deep blue lighting in the other drive bays which are behind a door. I tell you I do feel like it's "not from here". :rofl: Loads of fun though, but most of all it just runs beautifully.
Oh yeah and I got a much better 19" LCD NEC flat monitor and 2 NEC dvd combo burners, and HD = Seagate Barracuda RAID1 array 120 GB x2 so I'm all set. If I need more HD capacity I'll use an external.

Cooling is really important---you are wise to wait till you can build the system which you will be happy with...depending on what you choose for components, you could need liquid cooling, and it certainly won't hurt. ;) I let Alienware build my puter and I'm very satisfied. :D

---Maya

Everything of what you said is true -- It takes a lot of knowledge to build a computer. It is expensive to build the one you truly want, and once it's done, you will have all the fun in the world using it!!

Congrats again Raven!! :perfect:

Great works Maya, as usual.

Thanks also for reminding me to upgrade my computer, too. :perfect:

:D Thanks mflintjer and ricib. Yeah, and have fun with the puter upgrades! ;)
---Maya

Hey Maya: Your off to a great start there!
But don't you dare give up your oils and brushes, your too talented for that :perfect:

;) Thanks Nitro! Nah, I don't think I could ever abandon brushes and paint but digital art media is loads of fun -- another tool that inspires me. :D

Hope you're coping well with the chilly winter back there -- I spent 4 years in NY and got caught in that blizzard and ice storm (in '95/96 I think it was) =WoW! Brrrrrrrrr! [stuned]
Stay warm!
---Maya

Your too late Maya, the Flu bug has kept me out of work for the pass couple of days :(

Back