What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie information

murphyz

Hey there,

I am new to Photoshop and shall be using it to create a design as a graphic before I actually design it in Dreamweaver to upload. (I design diary/blog layouts at http://re-designs.diaryland.com)

I intend to create the image in photoshop and use that as a tracing image to duplicate the site in DW, but have a few questions to ask.

Firstly, when saving the graphics as jpg, Photoshop lets me adjust the quality of the image - I was wondering what I should set that at for using quick to load web graphics without any loss of colour?
Also, Please could you take a look at a .psd design I have created (it is zipped here - http://www.geocities.com/murphyz_mike/plane.zip ) and let me know if there is something in there that could be done more efficiently, such as the fact I am new to layers - is there any way to combine 2 layers when I have finished work on them until eventually I end up with the whole thing on one layer?

Also, what do you think of my first design?

Thanks in advance for pointers and advice.

Mxx

sfm

Guru
firstly Welcome aboard :perfect:

I had a look at your site and it looks good and loads fast - great

now your zip file I looked at that too - the only thing that I could see that you could do is delete layer 4,9,3,13 as there is nothing I could see in them then to make it easier for yourself I would have put the links for the upper corner into their own folder
looks great I think and I don't think you would want to merge all the layers down to one incase you ever wanted to change something right?
anyway I have rezipped my changes so that you can see what I have done
I also looked to see what jpg quality and I chose 60 without loosing anything it is always different as it depends on the image :\
anyway I hope I have helped although I doubt it as you had done everything pretty well right well done :perfect:
sfm

sfm

Guru
yikes didn't look at the file size [doh]
well here is a screen shot of the layers with the set made larger so you can see
sfm

murphyz

Thanks for the advice - I'll take a look at deleting those layers.

When you mention putting links into a folder - do you mean in Photoshop?

One last thing, excuse my ignorance, you mentioned you rezipped the file - how would I access that?

Thanks.

Mxx

wbiss

Guru
Good day murphyz and welcome to the forum! :)

sfm

Guru
when I am working in PS with it's layers I always create the sets/folders as I go along (click on the yellow folder at the bottom of the layers pallet) eg: the halloween challenge I am working on for the board has a hat so the layers are in the hat set, shoes are in the shoes set etc
with yours I just clicked new set and draged the layers into the set :D
sfm

SilvrWolf

Welcome to the board murphyz. BTW love that web site of yours the camel in the glove compartment was great!

wbiss

Guru
Way cool avatar murphyz :perfect: