What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OLD NEWBIE to PSG

donzo37

:eek: Awash in the mechanics of PS6. Started with the excellent Radio Shack computers in the late 70s. Switched to MACs in 1980s because of it's elegant intuitive operation (remember the original ad comparing the bloated Microsoft manual to the dainty trim Mac manual. Driven by the need to be Windows compatible and the premium one had to pay for hardware and software. Eventually escaped to Linux ( I one of those blue screen haters). Once I retired (out to pasture Anatomy professor) returned to the elegance of the Mac and it's intuitive approach. Alass, the power of PS demands that I peruse the manual - but every one knows that dottering professors have a terrible time following/understanding written instructions.

So this supplicant is now at this doorstep - first question how do I repair corrupted file(folders)?

The AE 11 Organizer says "---> File ---> catalog --" and there I lost the trail

So pray tell what is the procedure steps to repair a corrupted file/folder? I await with baited breath. I promise to keep studying the manual. But please hurry I am rapidly aging and am under great strain. :banghead:

Best way I know to fix those suckers Toss em in the trash

Punt Prof...your done. Take it from another old newbie..67 goin on 68. Welcome to the forum.

I have a TRS80 sitting in my garage but my first computer was a Tandy 1000 back in 1985 +/-
256K memory and two floppy drives.

As I recall it cost about $400 to upgrade to 640K AND $800 TO ADD A 10MB hard card.

Punt Prof...your done. Take it from another old newbie..67 goin on 68. Welcome to the forum.
Thanx for the memories: I remember paying $3000 for a used Trash 80 model three and a bucket of cash for a model 100. Left the 100 and a 4p in China in 1986. Puters were so finicky and unforgiving then. D37

I had a new business back in 1981-82 in North Carolina and purchased a brand new IBM Personal Computer (now called a PC). This thing was a real ball of fire..cost $5k, came with totally mysterious Dbase software, a 10 Megabyte HD and floppy drive. Turn on the switch and the DOS OS would go to work. After booting up, you were presented with a blinking cursor in the top left of the screen. That was it. It was then up to me to do something, anything, which again was a total mystery as to what to do next. OK, get this manual down and read it...oops, another dead end. That thing was written in what might as well have been a foreign language. Lots of words in there they were not in my vocabulary. Thank goodness for Windows is all I can say. Too bad I didn't take that 5k I spent on the PC and invest it in Microsoft. I would be typing this sitting in a tropical paradise somewhere instead of down here in LA (Lower Alabama).It's tropical here alright, but not exactly paradise.
Thanx for the memories: I remember paying $3000 for a used Trash 80 model three and a bucket of cash for a model 100. Left the 100 and a 4p in China in 1986. Puters were so finicky and unforgiving then. D37

Last edited:
What is this?

The geriatric section of PSG? Hey, maybe you should make one Steve. Call it PS oldies, rather than PS newbies!

Get in line donzo. So, it's just dottering professors, huh:" but every one knows that dottering professors have a terrible time following/understanding written instructions." I have always maintained a very firm belief that Professors neither know how to follow or understand written instructions (the more scientific the degree, the worse. You know, like astronomy), nor how to explain same to their students! Of course my father was a Logic Professor, sigh. When I was 8, I got a dressing down for my "famale" logic . . . hmpf.

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus. You will fit in perfectly here, as you can tell from the replies. Sorry I can't help with your actual request. But do stay. I am sure you can enrich our day to day experience on the forum. Hopefully we can enrich yours.

So this supplicant is now at this doorstep - first question how do I repair corrupted file(folders)?

The AE 11 Organizer says "---> File ---> catalog --" and there I lost the trail

So pray tell what is the procedure steps to repair a corrupted file/folder? I await with baited breath. I promise to keep studying the manual. But please hurry I am rapidly aging and am under great strain. :banghead:

Sorry, your trip down memory lane got me thinking of old computers and never addressed your question.
Are you sure Elements is the problem and not the hard drive?
Can you access your files outside of Elements?

If not try running Chkdsk if it's a PC

What is this?

The geriatric section of PSG? Hey, maybe you should make one Steve. Call it PS oldies, rather than PS newbies!

Get in line donzo. So, it's just dottering professors, huh:" but every one knows that dottering professors have a terrible time following/understanding written instructions." I have always maintained a very firm belief that Professors neither know how to follow or understand written instructions (the more scientific the degree, the worse. You know, like astronomy), nor how to explain same to their students! Of course my father was a Logic Professor, sigh. When I was 8, I got a dressing down for my "famale" logic . . . hmpf.

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus. You will fit in perfectly here, as you can tell from the replies. Sorry I can't help with your actual request. But do stay. I am sure you can enrich our day to day experience on the forum. Hopefully we can enrich yours.

Young Whippersnapper !!

Doesn't matter how 'old' we are, the main thing is we all have a passion and desire to use/learn and improve through the great subject that is Photoshop (whichever version).
I SAID IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW 'OLD'...........:rofl:

Back