What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Open multiple files as layers?

stevenkan

I've been told this can't be done, but here goes anyway:

My engineering department produces .ps files that need to be merged into a single Photoshop file as individual layers. Here's what I'd like to do:

1) Drag a set of .ps files onto a droplet
2) For every .ps file, open with same parameters (e.g. 300 DPI, RGB)
3) Adjust Hue/Sat and set Lightness to +50
4) Colorize each layer and adjust saturation to 100%
5) Make each opened file an individual layer in NewFile.psd
6) Close/delete any intermediate files (but not the original .ps's) and leave NewFile.psd open for further editing

My current droplet will do 1-4, but now I'm stuck! How do I take all the open files and make them into layers in a new .psd?

If I can't do this directly, I can save the results of each .ps conversion into a separate .psd, but then I'll need a droplet to convert
each .psd into a layer in NewFile.psd. I can't figure how to do that, because the Override Open/Save setting seems to mess things up.

Thanks!

markm

sorry dude ..... I have absolutely no-idea what you're goin on about :D .... (markm clueless as ever)

I'll try and guess though:
when you say .ps files... you're refering to .psd files, correct? if not.... can you share what a .ps file is?

.... and forgive me..... but what the hell is a 'droplet'?

This is how your explanation sounds to me:
you've gotta whole bunch of psd files that you want to turn into layers.... leaving you with 1 psd.

Am I close? - if so.... actions my friend..... they will be your saviour I promise.... if we're not talking psd's from the start and .ps files are something else then some kinda batch conversion thing is needed first.

Sorry I haven't managed to answer your question.... but at least I've asked a coupla questions and bumped your thread up a little until someone more intelligent comes along. :)

stevenkan

.ps == PostScript and droplet is Automation

.ps files are raw PostScript files generated by some CAD programs and drawing programs. When asked to open them PhotoShop will raster them into whatever res and colorspace you ask for.

If you have recorded actions into an .atn, you can create a "droplet" by choosing File:Automation:Create Droplet. This creates a separate .exe file that you can drop files onto for batch processing. All dropped files can be substituted for any files Opened during creation of the original action, and you can specify Save options, too.

So I already know a little bit about batching and automation; I'm having trouble with the specifics of creating one new file if I drop multiple files onto a droplet, and how to control selection of those files within the dropped set when I can't use an absolute filename reference (since the Droplet has to override this name in order to process the dropped files).

This question has been asked and denied several times on google, but I thought I'd ask here in the "guru's" forum :)

sfm

Guru
argh beaten again - I have to face it I am just too slow but yeah that is what a droplet is

I have created them myself and used them but I haven't been able to create it in such a way to keep the same name

or hang on I did use 2 different files............ what did I do (it has been a while!)

I created the droplet to open from a file then resize and save to a file just on the desktop (yeah I am lazy) now did they keep the same name or did they change
hang on let me see if I still have some around to look at........

couldn't find them so I must have deleted them

but I have had a look into my trusty book and this is what it says........ and it is the whole lot so bare with me......

1. choose file, automate, create droplet.
2. click choose at the top of the box to decide where you want the droplet saved when all is done.
3. override action "open" commands is an option when selected forces the drople to ignore any command in the action that begins with file, open. so check this option.
4. the include all subfolders option enables all folders within a folder dropped onto the droplet to be processed with the action. If you don't check this option, only images in the root folder get processed.
5. check the suppress colour profile warnings option. the images in your folder have been colour corrected and tonally balanced by the creator. so if you don't want a nagging box popping up and alerting you then you will want this checked.
6. the override action "save in" commands option in the destination field. If the action was created with a specific destination or this option is selected. Say some months later you forgot where the saved target image is......... so you would have to check the override save in commands option, - choose destination: folder, and thin in the directory box, choose the desktop and the my images folder.
7. file naming section of the create droplet dialog box looks as though it could be confusing. don't panic. It enables us to format the file naming sequence. some of the options you'll find in this field are extension, serial numbers, date and document name and so on. when you are naming your file, you can select items to be inserted into the default names for the files, such as document name, serial number in numeric or alphabetical format, date the file was created, as well as file extension. Basically we don't do anything to the file naming field because we want to preserve the filename and change the extension to jpeg. document name and extension are the defaults for this feature.
8. choose an option for processing errors. stop for errors will halt the process until you confirm the error message.
9. click okay

okay you don't want them as jpeg's but I hope this helps you in some way.
sfm

Rich

I don't have a clue how to do what your asking (sounds like sfm has a handle on it) but I can't help wondering WHY you need to do that. Are the .ps files tool paths for wire EDM machines and you are keeping the profiles for reference?

Alistair

Guru
Jese, why go through all the hassle? [stuned] Well, I basically dont get te raw postscript thing, are you allowed to export to postscript with photoshop? [confused]

heyDC

A few years too late?

From within Photoshop, select File->Scripts->Load Files into Stack, then select the files you want layered into stacks.

SCTRWD

Power User
Just don't undestand what's the fuzz about. Can't figure out what I'm missing...

Just create NewFile.psd and add a command Duplicate layer(to NewFile.psd) to the action of your droplet.

Ain't it just what's needed?

ludo5

sorry dude ..... I have absolutely no-idea what you're goin on about .... (markm clueless as ever)

I'll try and guess though:
when you say .ps files... you're refering to .psd files, correct? if not.... can you share what a .ps file is?

.... and forgive me..... but what the hell is a 'droplet'?

This is how your explanation sounds to me:
you've gotta whole bunch of psd files that you want to turn into layers.... leaving you with 1 psd.

Am I close? - if so.... actions my friend..... they will be your saviour I promise.... if we're not talking psd's from the start and .ps files are something else then some kinda batch conversion thing is needed first.

Sorry I haven't managed to answer your question.... but at least I've asked a coupla questions and bumped your thread up a little until someone more intelligent comes along.
thanks

Last edited: