What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paths Tool

Astex

Hello, I would like to ask if anyone could help me in regards to the Paths tool, on photoshop. I have made myself a custom logo, and I am trying to create a path to export it to Cinema 4D to enhance my logo in 3D. Although, whenever I create the path from the logo the edges are a bit curved and completely disregarding what I want it to do. I have spent hours and hours trying to fix this as of yesterday and today, and I really cannot put my finger on what the problem is, if anyone could help me I would be massively grateful as this is irritating me so much!

I have attached a print screen of my problem.

Thank you very much

-Ryan

Attachments

• troubleshootps.jpg
    troubleshootps.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 3
It's called the pen tool. Before I could suggest a different way, I'd need to know how you are creating the path now that isn't working for you.

I know it's the pen tool... I'm asking why the Paths aren't alike the text, seeing as how they came from the text. And I made them by outlining the logo by holding ctrl and clicking the thumbnail of the logo layer, going to the paths menu and selecting make path option.

You'll get the best result by tracing the letters with the pen tool to create the path. Obviously it will take a lot longer, but it will be accurate.

The make a path from the selection feature doesn't work very well on curves IMHO, even just converting a simple circle into a path will add countless unnecessary points. (screenshot 1) Whereas making a circle with the pen tool would only require 2 points. (screenshot 2)

Attachments

• ScreenShot001.jpg
    ScreenShot001.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 14
  • ScreenShot002.jpg
    ScreenShot002.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I agree Hawkeye. Making a path from a selection rarely works out. Aztex take the extra time to draw your path by hand. The payoff will be well worth it.

Agreed, you just need to patient and trace exactly.

Now, on the off hand that you used a font as a start for your logo annd you have illustrator or indesign... you could convert your text to outlines making a perfect path of your letters. then all you would have to do is connect the A and the X. might be a good place to start.

Having said that, you should really take the time and learn how to effectively work with paths.

Back