What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific Pattern Overlays

OwenJones98

Hey Team,

I'm back again seeking some more expert advice, I've been using pattern overlays to display different fabrics on a blind, however i've come to a few fabrics that are patterned heavily rather than a colour with detailing. I'm struggling to make the pattern Seamless so to say or to make it stop repeating, I tried to follow a few guides but I couldn't get them to work with a pattern like this. Any Ideas? I'm no photoshop expert by any means.

I know I could increase the scaling however i need to keep the pattern size relative to how it would look on the blind. so i cant just blow it up.

Screenshot_1.png

My first thought is to recommend this thread. It is slightly different to what you seek, but it could get you newer way of solving what you want to achieve.
Any specific questions after that, please shoot.

My first thought is to recommend this thread. It is slightly different to what you seek, but it could get you newer way of solving what you want to achieve.
Any specific questions after that, please shoot.
Thanks for the reply, but im not sure this is what i'm after, I need the pattern to remain the same looking but to fit the blinds i cant understand why its even resizing the fabric scan is 2000x2000 and the blinds are only 1000x1000 but it tiles them

What i should add is its not essentially a pattern, is a fabric scan of a material! i just need it to fit the blind without tilling, if this makes sense - So it appears to be one long continuous design

I have this image of the curtain blinds in white on a transparent background. The image is 5000 Px X 5000 Px.
1.png
Then, I have this image here, which is 1500 Px X 1600 Px. That is, roughly one third the blinds image above. I saved the whole of this image as a Pattern.
2.png

Now, when I apply this pattern on the blinds image above, here is what I get:
3.png
The image used for pattern is one third of the blinds image, hence we see that the pattern is repeated.

In conclusion, I think the tiles you are getting is because when you defined your pattern, the bounding box height is roughly one third that of the blinds image.

Cut out a small section of the pattern sized to make the pattern repeat, and use it to make a new pattern.

Screenshot 2020-12-06 121236.jpgScreenshot 2020-12-06 121318.jpg

I notice that your Fabric Scan file is 2000 X 2000 Px like you stated before. I have created a Blinds file with dimensions 1000 X 1000 Px as you mentioned before. You can see it below:
1.png

I saved the whole of the fabric scan file of 2000 Px square as a Pattern. Now, I applied the Pattern onto the above blinds file while noting that the Pattern file is double the size of Blinds file, I used scaling at 50% and here is the result:
2.png

To be noted that there is no repeating tiles in the image. Is this what you want to achieve? Also, if you have gotten a repeating pattern, it only means you selected the pattern at a much lesser dimensions.

I notice that your Fabric Scan file is 2000 X 2000 Px like you stated before. I have created a Blinds file with dimensions 1000 X 1000 Px as you mentioned before. You can see it below:
View attachment 117508

I saved the whole of the fabric scan file of 2000 Px square as a Pattern. Now, I applied the Pattern onto the above blinds file while noting that the Pattern file is double the size of Blinds file, I used scaling at 50% and here is the result:
View attachment 117509

To be noted that there is no repeating tiles in the image. Is this what you want to achieve? Also, if you have gotten a repeating pattern, it only means you selected the pattern at a much lesser dimensions.
Hey sorry I think its down to me explaining so poorly, I can make the pattern appear like that however that is not true to how the blind would look, the pattern feels massively too zoomed in - i may be asking an impossible feat here, but i've seen other people do it with this exact pattern, where it fills the blinds but isnt so zoomed in.

Here is another way of doing it where I did not use Pattern Overlay at all. I have the Blinds layer at the bottom and I used the Charcoal layer on top - CLIPPED to it, then resized it to half the width covering six blinds and then duplicating the Charcoal layer to cover the other six blinds while clipping it to the bottom layer too. Here is the result:
3.png

Here is another way of doing it where I did not use Pattern Overlay at all. I have the Blinds layer at the bottom and I used the Charcoal layer on top - CLIPPED to it, then resized it to half the width covering six blinds and then duplicating the Charcoal layer to cover the other six blinds while clipping it to the bottom layer too. Here is the result:
View attachment 117511
Thats it perfect! thank you and sorry for my bad explanation

Back