What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pen Tablets

Ermm, bout 200$ to 300$ for now, i want to make sure i will use it, if my workflow isn't optimized with it then i don't want to spend a bunch of money on something that will turn into an expensive paper weight if ya know what i mean.

I watched some reviews on the different types, im leaning towards a Wacom atm, looks like a good one, im thinking a medium sized pad will work for me... Any suggestions??

Wacom is the leader, can't go wrong w/one. If you have a Best Buy or similar store near you, go and get some hands-on. They will prob. only have the Bamboo, which are very nice. A step up in quality (and price) is the Intuos4 line. Amazon has the small one (4x6) for 200, and the medium (6x8) for ~300. I have an Intuos3 small, and it's just fine for photo stuff. For drawing/painting, a medium may work better.

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone regretting their decision to buy a tablet. I do know that some people regret buying one that's too big, which sounds weird, I know. After you spend a couple days getting used to it, you will likely wonder how you worked without one.

Wacom is the leader, can't go wrong w/one. If you have a Best Buy or similar store near you, go and get some hands-on. They will prob. only have the Bamboo, which are very nice. A step up in quality (and price) is the Intuos4 line. Amazon has the small one (4x6) for 200, and the medium (6x8) for ~300. I have an Intuos3 small, and it's just fine for photo stuff. For drawing/painting, a medium may work better.

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone regretting their decision to buy a tablet. I do know that some people regret buying one that's too big, which sounds weird, I know. After you spend a couple days getting used to it, you will likely wonder how you worked without one.

Well I got a Bamboo CTF-430, and that's too small, lol I would love a "Cintiq 21UX" but that's just to much money for something I wouldn't use.

But to the OP do check out Wacom.com, they have an idea of what you are looking for and then see if you can find is for less somewhere else :)

I have an Intuos PTK640 it's around 15" X10"
For control there's nothing like a graphics tablet no matter what size you buy.
It's so much more precise than a mouse.

Are those tablets pressure sensitive? I believe i remember hearing them say that, my question is, are they really that sensitive??

Thanks again for the input guys, i seen that Cintiq, that thing looks like a BEAST!! Like you said though, that's some serious jack!! I do have a Best Buy about 5 minutes away, maybe ill ride up there today and see if i can get some demo action. Thanks again everyone!

I paid $199 for my WACOM intuos3 8" x 10". Found it on Amazon. Well worth the investment. After you get use to it you'll never wanna use a mouse for photoshop. I like being able to lay back and sit it in my lap. BIG thumbs up for Wacom!

hangman that is so funny, that's how i sit at my pc the whole time im on it, feet kicked up on the edge of my desk, with my keyboard in my lap, all kicked back!! I can certainly see the benefits of using one tho, there is a local lady here i found that has one on Craigslist for $200.00 i could maybe get it cheaper but i can't tell what model it is in the pics, if you guys can tell or recognize it, please let me know if that's a deal for that price and ill go grab it up...

Photographer Cleaning house

I tell ya what, even tho i don't have one yet, i would have to agree, using a mouse for anything other than browsing or easy straight line stuff is tough unless your working in huge exploded views drawing pixel by pixel which can take FOREVER to accomplish even the simplest design...

I have some free time tomorrow, maybe ill run around to a few different places and see what's available... Thanks for all the help my fellow Guru's!!

Wacom has a cheaper version you can get for $99. I've used my friends before and they work fine. The only difference is it feels like you're drawing on paper but it's a real good deal.

That's far from a deal, IMO. I have the same model (Intuos3 4x6) and paid that much brand new a couple years ago. The new Intuos4 version of that one (much improved) is 181.00 right now on Amazon.

Everything appears to be overpriced in that lot. Outdated software for 50 (new version is 80), Sunpak tripod for 20...can get those for less than that brand new every day, though the model isn't specified. Looks to me like she's trying to get back what she paid, or close to it. Not likely to happen, but I guess ya never know...

If you're willing to drop 2 bills on a tablet, get the latest version, new. Otherwise, offer her like 50 bucks for it, if it's in good condition.

Last edited:
Thanks Rogue, i wasn't sure what model it was so, that helped. Good thing i didn't get impatient like i always do and go buy it lol...

That's far from a deal, IMO. I have the same model (Intuos3 4x6) and paid that much brand new a couple years ago. The new Intuos4 version of that one (much improved) is 181.00 right now on Amazon.

My link was more for features than price.
Intuos4 Small is $229 at Wacom, but good point, there are better prices out there.

Yep, that's how I kick it when I photoshop. If i'm just fooling around I add a 40oz. to the equation. The craigslist add, WAY TOO EXPENSIVE! Yeah it's Wacom intous 4(maybe) but the drawing size is too small for most ppl. You can find great deals @ journeyed.com(your suppose to be a student but they never asked for my school ID) and you want a medium size tablet. Those are in the 200- 300 dollar range. Just keep looking. I bought mine refurbished on amazon and it works perfect with 2 years one it. At my college I see students throw these things all over the desk and they don't break. Wacom is much more durable then you would think. We have some 5 year old Wacom intous 2 tablets with drink stains on them that work good as new!

Last edited:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by X_Rogue_X

My link was more for features than price.
Intuos4 Small is $229 at Wacom, but good point, there are better prices out there.

@ Steve
When I first read your post I thought "Well that's an odd thing to quote and reply to...", but I've just re-read the entire thread and now it makes sense. Initially I only posted the first paragraph, which appeared right after your post w/the link, so it probably looked like I was trying to say "Don't listen to that guy...". Then I edited my post after visiting the craigslist link, but you'd already made your reply quoting me.

Now I realize I prob. looked like a total douche. But just to clarify, my post was in reference to the prices in the craigslist ad, not yours.

There...now I feel better lol.

Back