What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

photo restoration white streaks

Jedi Michael

Hi all. So I'm trying to restore this old photo for a friend. Used a scanner and scanned at 600 dpi. I actually read that more people are not using scanners so much anymore and just taking a picture of the the old photo.
Not sure if that makes it better or not. Found a neat trick in which you scan it 2 times with it rotated at each scan. Then using layer modes, I used darken on the top layer and it really helped with a lot of the clean up.
So anyways, there 2 pics I'm working on.

Started with this. Both are sized way down to post here.
org.jpg

Cropped a bit in to post here.
I think it has turned out pretty good, except there are these faint whitish streaks most noticeable in her hair. I tried and tried everything I could possible think of to try and get rip of them, or at least tone them down.
Best I could do was the burn tool, which I really didn't want to do to lose to much detail. You can see these better in the next pic after this one.

cleaned.jpg

Its actual smudges on the picture. Even tried wiping it off and didn't help. Trying to keep as much detail as I can and not blurr it to death.
hairstreaks.jpg

So that photo I can probably get away with...but the next, not so much I think.
This is a 4x3.5 Polaroid.
I already started cleaning it up, mainly their dresses.

Smaller.jpg

The worst parts are again these whitish sratches/noise. Just seeing if anyone might have a good or better solution to helping these marks and not losing all the detail. I know the clone tool can help with some of it, but I'm afraid too much is damaged to use it on everything. Thanks.
Smallercloser.jpg

So no one knows how to do this or just not answering?
Basically turning the whiter areas to a darker color. I tired a few different things and nothing worked how I was hoping for. I'm sure photoshop with all its many ways to tackle a problem has got to have something that will help.

In the first picture, the stripes come from the scanner light that was reflected at kinks. To avoid this, you should weigh down the picture with a glass plate or a book.

You can also do a "wet scan". Usually you do this with negatives, a liquid, a film and a suitable frame.

However, this can also be applied to photographs without a negative frame. To do this, apply the liquid to the previously cleaned scanner, then the image. Now smooth out the photo from behind so that the liquid is distributed. This is followed by an absorbent textile that prevents the liquid emerging from the image from flowing into the scanner. A plastic film is placed on the textile and finally something to complain about (book, glass plate).

However, it should be mentioned that the image can be destroyed in this process. Therefore, always try it out on an unimportant photo.

In the second photo, I assume that the majority of the white areas will disappear during the wet scan.

Back