What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photo Retouching/Restoration Practice 4

Argos

Guru
One think i notice in almost all your work pipsmom it's a well done work with and excess of bluring on the skin that for me tarnish your work. i work on that if i was you, of course it's only my opinion and can be wrong.

Cheers!

bbq_bob

I smoothed the skin more in this one. Is it too much? I also whitened the eyes. The picture was either flawed or his eye was blood shot. Either way, I think they look better without the mark.
stained_bbq_bob2.jpg

bbq_bob

So, I may or may not have achieved a good result in this exercise, but I suspect that I did it wrong. I am really surprised that people haven't been critical of the write-up I did earlier. I don't think I follow how the pros do things.

IamSam illustrated how he used multiple layers rather that using destructive methods. While I can understand how you can use a second layer with the healing brush tool, content aware fill doesn't seem to work in the same way. Is there some way to use this tool in a new layer?

Similarly, when I use a plug-in, they all alter the layer rather than creating a new adjustment layer. So, to use content aware fill and the Polaroid Dust & Scratch plug-in, I have to do this on a copy of the original. It then feels strange to have some of my flaw fixes with the original copy and others on another layer. And then to run a noise reduction plugin, I have to merge the healing layer with the original anyway. This makes me question as to why I even should bother with a healing layer. It just feels odd to me. What am I doing wrong? How can I get plugins to work on a composite of layers?

Sorry for the newbie questions, but I don't know enough to make sense of this statement: "I added two Curves adjustment layers, one dark and one light with conceal all masks." What does this mean? I get that you created two new "Curves..." adjustment layers. Then you set the pull-down to Darker (RGB) in one and Lighter (RGB) in the other. Don't those just cancel each other out? And what does "conceal all masks" mean?

And I don't even know where to start with this statement: "I made a Stamped Visible layers copy and converted it to a Smart object." I'll have to read up on Smart objects.

Thanks for helping a newbie like me.