What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop CS: "Program Error" message and crash when using Magic Wand tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Applejack

I just recently upgraded from Vista to 7 and moved my copy of Photoshop CS. CS worked fine on Vista, but running CS on 7 is not working at all.When I use the Magic Wand tool it selects, then freezes, then the "This action could not be completed due to a program error" message comes up, and I have to forcibly shut it down. I've tried changing the OS it runs on to both Vista and XP but the same error and crash happens.I'm running Photoshop CS on Windows 7, I don't know any other specifics like graphics card or plugins, I'm afraid outside of Photoshop I'm pretty tech-illiterate. Any help fixing this would be much appreciated!

Steve

Retired Administrator
Make sure your video driver is up to date.

Try resetting the preferences file.
It cures a lot of strange behavior in PS.

Start Photoshop and immediately hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows)
or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS X).

Then, click Yes to the message, "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file?"

Applejack

Make sure your video driver is up to date.Try resetting the preferences file.It cures a lot of strange behavior in PS.Start Photoshop and immediately hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows) or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS X). Then, click Yes to the message, "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file?"
I tried holding it down and that menu doesn't show up. A menu titled "Scratch Disk Preferences" pops up with four dropdown menus labeled First, Second, Third, Fourth and each one only has C:/ as an option. Is there a way to get into the Adobe folder and just delete the file manually?

Steve

Retired Administrator
It will work.
Start Photoshop and immediately hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows)
or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS X).

The location of the preference file varies depending on the OS and the version of Photoshop.
Try searching for a *.psp file

Applejack

Figured it out, deleted my preferences, and the program errors still keep coming. I think I'm just gonna have to upgrade to a version of Photoshop that works on Windows 7. Thanks for the help!

RTContent

Power User
The one thing I would recommend trying is forcing it to boot in compatibility mode.
Find a shortcut to Photoshop, right-click and select properties. Click on 'Open containing folder', find the exe file, right-click on that, go to properties and tick run in compatibility mode and try a different OS. Click apply and see what happens. Not too sure if this would work, its just something I'd probably try myself.

R

Status
Not open for further replies.