What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop CS4, text not rendering correct, garbled, strange lines appearing etc.

plainman007

Hi,

I have photoshop CS3. It worked ok on an old install of Win XP Pro. But recently i was forced to reinstall a new version of Win XP Pro.

Now on this new install. I have found some strange things occuring with text. When i type in text and click apply or finalize the text, the text appears broken, with strange characters, and strange bar code type of lines appearing on my entire design. When i double click the layer it goes away.

Again when i select that text layer and try cycling thru fonts in the character tool panel suddenly some fonts cause lines to appear over the entire poster design. It looks like as if the graphics card has gone amuck kind of look. A broken and distorted look. So i thought lets save or check the final output and i was shocked to see the same artifacts in the saved jpeg file too.

Then when i open the original at times the problem isnt there. But then it comes back in a few minutes or when i touch that text layer for any edits.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

CS3 or CS4?
The title says one thing the message another.

In either case make sure you have the most current video driver installed, that's a must.
If you have CS4 and the newest drivers don't correct the problem try unchecking Enable OpenGL Drawing in Preferences.

Hi plainman007. Have you tried resetting Photoshop?

Or try unchecking Enable OpenGL in your Preferences.

edit. ooops... steve saied it first.... lol....

Oh god. Ok that was a typo since 3 is right next to 4 on the keyboard. Ummm its PS CS4. Sorry about that.

Hi DV8, how do you reset photoshop please ?

Thanks

To reset Photoshop start Photoshop and immediately hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows)
or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS X).

Then, click Yes to the message, "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file?"

Did you make sure your video driver is up to date?

Hi,

Yes i have the latest driver. But it seems thats the problem. My graphics card is NVidia 8400gs. I had installed the latest driver set from their site. That time the problem was very pronounced. I also posed this problem to a few friends and one suggested i revert to the older driver so i uninstalled and reinstalled the original driver that came with the graphics card. Now the problem seems to be much lesser and i notice some fonts giving the lines and the others not. But then earlier even this problem didnt exist so i dont think it has to do with font types.

I will now reset and try out your suggestions and report back here. Thanks.

Tried Photoshop Reset. Text garbling reccurs. Tried open gl active and deactivated. Problem still occurs. And ofcourse the problem occured with the latest graphic drivers to start with and is now occuring with the older original included drivers.

BUT, heres a peculiarity i noticed. This grabling and mutilation occors when the text exceeds the bounds of the document. Lets say you have a text on the document. Then you increase the point size, thereby causing it to be slightly/partially offscreen. The text gets garbled and all sorts of strange symbols or chopped up parts of the orginal background pic and text appear all over the document. To set this right i have to click on the text layer in the layer panel, to get into the text edit mode. Then it goes away. But not always. I have to stretch the text boundary box to accomodate the newly set point size and then things become ok. But again if the text is even moved partially off screen and then i select that text layer for edit. Document gets garbled.

But all this mutilation occurs only withing the document bounds and it doesnt exceed and occour on the PS interface etc.

:(

Back