What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop CS5 Refine Edge

There is no tut

oops there is now.my bad!

Last edited:
Looks like it works better then the programs I used to use to help with that.
Now will it work for different colored backgrounds. Black and white are usually pretty easy.

Nice tutorial Steve. Thanks for posting it.

>Now will it work for different colored backgrounds

The improved Refine Edge in CS5 is a gem in many ways but most demonstrations and tutorials I've seen on it have about the same example image - a model on a white background with good contrast. The kind of image that would be about as easy to extract with the good ol' mask-from-channel method. Difference is you don't need to poke around in the Channels Panel.
My own experience of Refine Edge is it has about the same behaviour as any plugin, so I haven't skipped them yet. Nor any of the aditional techniques used for years before Refine Edge.
Try it yourself with a blond model on a white background and you'll see the difference.

"Try it yourself with a blond model on a white background and you'll see the difference."
One of the toughest to get to the point where you find yourself satisfied with the result

True as stated, iDad.
But please don't get me wrong here. I'm not trying to say Refine Edge is crap. Not at all - and it will be very interesting to see what has happened with it in CS"next"....

I know
when are you predicting "next" any news on upgrades?

A normal release cycle of new PhS versions is around 18 months, so count ahead from April 2010 and it gets you to ...
Can't say anything more since I'm not involved in the Beta program.

could be very interesting indeed. usually is. I have one thing I wish Ps would do, I think I'll stop hijacking your thread though and start another lol

Well - actually ... it's Steve's thread, so I guess I'd better shut my trap too...

Wow .. I like that one. I have the basic issue of being able to -for example- pulling that lady in your example out of a crowd to begin with .. my 'refinement' with this tool still leaves a lot of crumbs-n-trash around the edges. ...I'll look further down to see if there is a primer on selection. Thanks again.

Jim

Thank you so much for posting this! I have been trying to do something like this for a long time. I had no idea it was this easy!

Sorry to go a little off topic but hair rendering is always a challenge and I must say even with every tool available its not an easy task. I used Topaz Remask3 plug in for this and I think its one of the best hair renders I ever did and just wanted to share it. (normally I dont watermark anything but I may use this one for other projects.)

Before:
small.jpg

After:
NoRipsmall.png

i watched this video before joining this forum on youtube video is good thanks for sharing again i just watched again

it is very good for things like that but I have to be honest and say if it is difficult selections to make the I am loading up topasz remask 3 by far the best tool for making selections and the best news is it is going to be a feature in adobe photoshop cs6as a standard just under a new name

Back