What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop REALLY hidden features...???

Erik

Guru
I could not believe this when I saw this published at the Adobe forum, yet: in every version of Photoshop, there are *really* hidden features. The engineers who do the coding have often added features that are not included in the final, public version: there is a general discussion with the commercial staff etc, and then some features are taken aside for the next version. Yet, the code is already there.
And what's more: much of it can be accessed by knowing the right "short cuts". Compare it to the so-called "Easter Eggs" which display a certain message, or a pic of the coding team etc etc. It was also said that the later releases did not have these options, but that installing 8.01 did not affect the code and the access to it.

Unfortunately, the thread was removed the next time I visited it. However, I did write down how to access these features (mostly filters, some added functionality, and some incredibly new ones: it was said that they found Kai Krause prepared to write some new Powertools for them, and it *is* him, imo).

My shorthand is a tad "chaotic" to say the least, so I am very close, but I managed. More later as I just received a call that I have to play taxi for my mum who's got to go to hospital for a check-up.

Erik

Guru
Right, I'm back.

What you have to do is this:

- open a new white RGB doc of exactly 512x512 pixels, 8 pixels/inch
-Select a square of 256x256 pixels (use fixed size and the grid)exactly in the centre of the open doc, fill with white (yes!) and stroke 4pix with 000,213,087 RGB. Then Deselect.
-Then use the shortcut (Ctrl/Cmd+I) to invert the doc
-Apply NTSC filter
-Then apply Polar to rectangular filter (polar coordinates) and hold down Ctrl/Cmd+Shift+D whilst applying.
-Now open the Other>Custom filter. fill in

8 11 -8

a new icon will appear on the dialog box's lower right-hand corner.

double click this, and you get a new dialog with some of the hidden features.

There was more, but I didn't manage to write it down (wanted to try this one, and when I went back, the posting had been deleted)

Try it out, and let me know whether it works for you!

Have fun!!

theKeeper

Guru
mmm... me thinx your leg is being pulled Erik...

Are we supposed to deselect that 256 square before inverting? Or leave the selection active?

Both ways... i got no "extra button" added to the dialog window.

8[

Erik

Guru
I automatically deselected (always do so)

I get for example several fractal noise patterns to choose from, a filter that resembles Fraxflame buit with PS' layer capabilities, and a far superior texture maker.
Sorry, can't upload anything right now, but I'll show it asap.

I re-read the method, and it works hine over here.

AppleCider

Power User
I hate to sound stupid, but what's the NTSC filter??

MindBender

Guru
AppleCider ? filters>video>NTSC colors

Well? it sounds to me like we're getting very close to April 1st ;)

G

Hey, it works Erik! :perfect:

Cool! B7 I can't wait to experiment with these new features! ;)

wbiss

Guru
[stuned] Unbelievable!

sfm

Guru
Unbelievable is not the word! [stuned]
sfm

kiwi

Guru
Oooh ya,very cool new plugin :perfect:.I hope they optimize it a bit my little processor almost had a heart attack [stuned]

Stu.

pdog182

-Now open the Other>Custom filter. fill in

8 11 -8

there are a lot more squares that can be filled in. Is -7 the top left square? Do I leave the other squares blank in that row?

[/code]

theKeeper

Guru
pdog... when you open that filter it's already got numbers filled in. Just replace those current ones with the ones Erik mentioned.

theKeeper

Guru
hmmm... is it April yet? :\

I'm still not getting any "new icon button" in the "Other/Custom" filter window. Are we talking about PS7?

Oh and btw... Ctrl/Cmd+Shift+D reselects the last selection you had going. So is this to be done just before opening the filter menu, or only right at the time of clicking the Polar filter in the menu?

AND... what setting for stroke are you using? Inside/Center/Outside...?!

Details man! Deatils! :p

MindBender

Guru
Yeah... exactly. When I see several people post the same screenshot on April 2nd then I will give it a bit of credence ;) hehe

<edit> Well... if you've been beating your head against the desk trying to make the custom filter behave how you would like... then you might have filled in some very strange places indeed... heheh *ahem*

carry on... nothing to see here... move along, move along.</edit>

wbiss

Guru
:rofl: I really enjoyed this one too Erik! More than anything, just reading the posts! :perfect:

sfm

Guru
you know Erik I did try and couldn't see anything....... then went to post on the board to say it wasn't even the 1st yet........ gulp look at the date! hook line and sinker....... so I changed my message so others could share the fun :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
good one :perfect:
sfm