What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pixelate an image?

zweetkonijn

Hi guys,

Me and my girlfriend are moving in together soon.
And I want to give her the key to our house in a romantic way.

I'll attach the key to this print.
But I want the keys in the picture to be pixelated, to fit in more with the 8-bit background.

Is there any way to do this?

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• foto.jpg
    foto.jpg
    985 KB · Views: 3
  • foto.psd
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Try some of the options under Filter > Pixelate. Mosaic should give a pretty decent result.

When I need to pixellate lines like this (ie, in contrast to pixellating a contone image), my favorite trick is to down-rez by something like a factor of 8x (using the "nearest neighbor" (NN) option), and then up-rez (by the same factor, again using the same NN option).

This is what I did in the attached image. Obviously, I only performed this procedure on the part of the image that I was interested in, not everything. If one wants the drop shadow, that's an easy separate step.

Tom

PS - The change in color, color space, pixel dimensions, and watermark are all intentional. I will be more than happy to demonstrate that a particular effect is possible and teach the necessary Photoshop techniques, but I not do other people's work.

Attachments

• foto-tjm02_down_rezed-sRGB_(c)-02_698px_hi.jpg
    foto-tjm02_down_rezed-sRGB_(c)-02_698px_hi.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I use the same method as Tom, but I convert to indexed colour, so I can choose 8 bit, but only when it isn't just a black outline of a key.

dut9rncs.png

Back