What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Planet with terrain

Thanks everyone for your efforts in the quest to find the tute. The Tutes which you've located are excellent and are now bookmarked in my list of favorites.
However, I'm still searching for the specific tute I mentioned above. It was a clever and simple little tute. It's instructions filled less than a page and it used only a few processes to accomplish its results.
I remember it used gradient light, quick mask, emboss and one or two more steps. Sperize wasn't one of the steps.
The tute was so simple I thought I'd never forget it and so I didn't bookmark it-I hate these senior moments!
Billie

No spherize was used in that tutorial billiewebbjr? [confused]

You'll need some edge "distortion" to create the 3d effect, that is if you see parts of the planet's surface.

Btw, found a new trick to create a planet-like surface:
  • filter/render clouds (use different background/foreground colour)
  • filter/render difference clouds
  • filter/sketch/bas relief (detail 15, smoothness 1)
  • colorize it using H&S or by blending a layer[/list:u]

Cool effect G-Man! :perfect:

I'll have to spend some time on that one myself. ;) I had been thinking mainly in terms of creating a b-map and using a render/lighting effect... [confused] Ummmm... it was a thought and initial "tries" looked not 1/2 *assed* bad but just weren't up to 'par'... :\

In the meantime, I did find this tutorial, billiewebbjr... I know that it's not exactly what you're looking for but it's a start... http://www.nebulus.org/tutorials/2d/photoshop/ps12/

ThanX again, Wendy. I really really apreciate your effort.
ThanX everyone. I'm bookmarking all these tutes that you're finding for me.
Billie

I am going to do this tut!!

I am in the middle of trying landscapes maybe this would help! Thanks guys BTW they look awsome!!
I'll post mine when I am done!

OK I promised planets so here you go, dont laugh to hard!!

OK using stu's star background and one planet from the tute (the blue one) Then I got wierd on my second one!!

You can almost expect the Entreprise to pass by...well done Matt ;)

Great job Matt! :perfect:
[shhh] Getting "weird" is what we gurus do best! :D

Here is another..

But this time I used Gaussian's method... I think it turned out OK, Awsome tip Gauss!! So I name it Planet Gauss!! :D

Last one I promise!!

Sorry I was on a roll so I added all I learned in this thread and applied it to one image hence the Guru Galaxy was born!! Thanks for all the tips guys you have created a monster!!

Looks really great Matt, each one of them :perfect:

I don't know if you know the following, but I'm going to mention it anyways.

After you create that planet-like landscape, you convert it to a pattern.

This is the way to do it:

a) select the whole image (CTRL+A or Select/All) or only select a small area using the rectangular marquee tool
b) go to image/define pattern... and give the pattern a name
c) click ok

Now you can for example type a large bold text using the type tool.

Then...

a) Add a Pattern Overlay layer style and select your new pattern
b) Add a Texture layer style and select your new pattern.
c) Use the the Depth slider to create more or less depth.

Voila, you just created a 3D texture :)

Make sure that the Scale option in both layer styles contains the same value.

Very Cool Gauss

I will have to try that.

Thanks for the idea!

Good stuff Matt! You're really learning a lot and making good use of your time, these days! :perfect:

Great "tip" there Gauss! ;)

hey great tutorial "Wendy" :perfect: :perfect: i came across some recent photos from the russian space station and apparently they discovered a new planet called Geofftopia :D :D

Nice results there Geoff! :perfect: Good job on "varying" the tutorial to get a different look altogether! ;)

Back