What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D Poser Models for all to use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poser Models for all to use {Some nudity in this thread}

Nice work Rick and Alistair! :perfect:

Whats that rick? [saywhat] A mersnail???!!! :D

Welcome to the Poser World, Al. Nice first post. A little practice with the bending. I think you used the wrong dial when you raised the arms.

Rick, nice mix- mersnail.

vee

Wrong dial? Hey guys (and gals), can ya all help me out a bit? I'm brand new and trying to figure this out. I can't properly blend image's of any poser art, and what ever way I try, it comes out pixelated. When I export to ps, its pixelated, if I pront screen, it's pixelated, if I do anything else, it's pixelated!!! Anyone have methods, and is there a way I can get te model for ps with out the background, but also noot pixelated, like a gif maybe? :) thanks - Alistair

Al - make sure the antialias check box is check the Render/Options box of Poser - after you render the image use Save as and save as a Photoshop image with the standerd grey background color.

When you open the image in PS change the background to a layer ( double click on the layer in the layers palete) after you have done that go to the channels palate and Ctrl/click on the alpha channel to select the image/figure. The go to Layers/add layer mask/reveal selection. This should give you a clean copy of your figure on a transparent background.

After that you can import a background pic on a new layer and away you go

Hope this helps

Thanks for the first part rick. But for the 2nd part, can't I just use the magic wand tool? Or will that not work out well?
BTW of POSER, check out my new avt ;) :D

Wrong dial?

It seems theres a deformity in the shoulder and armpits. Either there's too much twist or back/front doubled. If not, you have to scale down those extra pecs.

Great new avater, Al. You should try morphing it. Like rick's earlier avatar - I really like that goofy face, rick :rofl: .

You can also use the lasso set to 1. I render Poser characters on a bright green or blue background, same like they do to create movie effects.

You can also try the reverse - render your Photoshop scene first and import the jpeg as a background in Poser. That way you can move the characters around as you see fit.

After all the posing and whatnots and you feel you have to retouch the character, delete the background image, render and export to PS. And follow steps mentioned above. If not, render the scene as is for final retouch in PS - lighting, shadows, additional foreground elements...

In the Render Options, increase your resolution to 300 and select new window. This way you create a bigger render. It'll take a while to render the scene but you minimize the pixelation, too.

I don't know which process rick used to create the mersnail, But probably he created 2 renders- the slug with scenery and Victoria on a plain background and combined/retouched in PS. ( Did you rick? Or was it something else?)

Hope this helps, Al.

vee

Good avatar Al

Vee god advise I use those techniques all the time

as for the mersnail - I combined the two figures in Poser - as a matter of fact it was a 100% Poser render, just used PS to adjust the levels

Nice avatar Alistair, it even talks! :shocked: :perfect:

The problem is: complexity. Poser started as a kind of Barbie-and-Ken software, but slowly became more and more complex, most of all with the extra's made by Zygote who, later on, became Daz3D. Their latest mesh, Victoria3 is made for the newest computers because of the complexity.

The mesh (human figure) can be changed (arms can be lifted, eyes closed etc...) by introducing "bones". Bones are a kind of guides that tell the software that if, for example the finger moves, the hand and the arm and the shoulder move with it. This asks lots of calculation and therefore recent processors. The movements of a real human body can never be rendered: what we see is a simplification. The weakest point is the shoulder girdle.

The shoulder-girdle is extremely complex: on the level of the skeleton, the arm is only attached to the breastbone. All the rest is held together with muscles and tendons. The collar bone is attached to the breast bone, and on the other side, on the shoulder itself, to the shoulder blade. To the shoulder blade, the upper arm bone is attached. Many, many muscles are attached to these bones, and to render these correctly, even the newest dual xeons with hyperthreading aren't sufficient. We are coming close to believable characters (think of Gollum in LOTR2), but it's still visible that it is digital. Yet, to render this they use render farms with 1000 processors and more calculating twenty four hours a day.

Meanwhile, CuriousLabs made Poser5. Better meshes, but badly coded, and needing so strong a comp that the mac version will probably never come out. (because the Level3 cache cannot make up for the weakness of the processor here). Yet, for $149, it is worth its money, imo.
Good news is that Daz3D is making their own app, and the beta version will be for free. This will probably be the end of Curious Labs and Poser.

So we, Photoshoppers, are lucky: we can paint, draw, and select untill the shoulder is correct. For those with limited knowledghe of artistic anatomy: do a search with google on the subject, and observe, observe, observe. Try to see without knowing what you see. Concentrate, pay attention. Knowledge always places itself between reality and the image we create of it.

Good thoughts and words of wisdom Erik.

I agree, It takes a little knowledge of anatomy to get the right looks on an image - painted or computer-generated.

Poser is a great tool but it does have certain limitations. Extreme poses that the real body can do can't be duplicated without those deformities.

And you're right, with Photoshop, we can correct those deformities. Lucky us. Pity those who don't know PS.

Hats off to you, erik.

vee

Good that you mention Daz3D again Erik, since I forgot to bookmark it last time [confused]

Erik wrote:
The shoulder-girdle is extremely complex: on the level of the skeleton, the arm is only attached to the breastbone. All the rest is held together with muscles and tendons. The collar bone is attached to the breast bone,:

and the shin bone is connected to the thigh bone, and here is the word of the Lord :rofl: :rofl:

You are completely right as always Erik, Poser is a tool for mainly creating Fantasy characters, we attempt to use it to create realistic looking people and in this effort there are certain limitations. Victoria 3 is a huge step forward as the mesh is much more dense than in past models. A skilled hand can and certainly does take the best of Poser and modify it in a program such as Photoshop to achieve the required effect. This may or may not be realism or it may be a fantasy image, this is somewhat left to the skill and imagination of the artist. However, with all the limitations that we face with Poser I personally find it a fun program to use and play with. So far I have not found any real commercial value in it (perhaps with the exception of doing some ad images circa 1950) but it is a nice way to relax and take a short break from the day to day grind. Works well in our Cannon Fodder thread :rofl:

I am actually happy that all programs are not used for commercial enterprise so we can just PLAY once in a while..

WOW that's more words that i have said in a month :perfect: :rofl:

If DAZ is successful with their new program, certainly Poser will be in trouble, as presently there is unrest at Curious Labs. They have recently cut quite a few of there key people from the payroll and it seems they are in a bit of a confused state at the moment.

thanks for the avatar comment gaus. Thanks for the suggestions guys! Um, BTW, I looked in the user manual ad all that and can't find out how to make a background scene (grass, ground, trees, whatever, etc. :D ). How would I do that?

If you mean importing a pix, FILE>IMPORT>BACKGROUNDPICTURE.

But if you mean creating a scene, that's easy :-

First you have to download props, objects, scenery elements - either poser, obj or 3ds from Poser websites. If you could spare a lot of pennies, purchase a few. But then again the freestuff are good enough to work on.

Second, unzip the files into its respective Poser folders. The readme's will tell you how, if not, give us a holler.

Finally, load them in Poser and act like a landscape artist, gardener, cinematographer, director, lighting technician, stage hand, grip boy, all rolled into one :rofl: :rofl: . It may look like hardwork but it's where the fun begins.

http://www.renderosity.com
http://host1.bondware.com/~syydr
http://www.3dcommune.com
http://free.daz3d.com
http://forums.big-i.com
http://www.3dlinks.com/community_poser.cfm

Oh yes, prepare your innocent eyes for heavenly things in them sites [stuned] [slick] [shhh] .

You'll have to register in these to access the freebies sections. The freebies come in everyday. Daz offers a freebie each week. That last link - a great database to search for Poser and 3d objects as well as other stuff Sites.

Enjoy and happy gardening!

I forgot to mention - the default characters and props of Poser are low resolution, low polygon models. This may explain the deformities in your above work.

You need a hi-quality, hi-polygon base character - Victoria or Michael from Daz3d like the beauty rick uses in order to render more realistic looking humans. Tho there are a few freebies around, most of the free character textures, clothing and stuff require the base model. This also goes for certain items - hair, clothing, props, special figures, etc.

vee

Al don't forget to checkout the DAZ 3D site as they have weekly freebies of pretty good quality

Here is a quick render of this weeks free model form DAZ at Harrison Lake BC btw you can find a texture map for it at Renderositys free stuff section

and here is a quick render of the Sea Dragon with his texture on :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back