What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem with Layers / Masking

Zagash

Greetings,

I have stuck on a point to modify a completely free downloadable vertical navigation sample :

https://dribbble.com/shots/947872-Verticle-Navigation

I can't make/move/reproduce the highlight area to the other buttons.

I think it would be easy as these free stuff made stupid-proof but after 17 hours of exhausting trying I must admit it's still beyond my knowledge. :(

In the sample, only the 2nd button is highlighted but I need to make all 5 to be separately highlight -able. And please ignore the tooltip part, I don't need that.

Would you take a look at it please?

Last edited by a moderator:

MrToM

Guru
Fairly simple.

1. Select these three layers:
Rounded Rectangle 1 copy
layer 1
Glow

They are all together so its easy to select them.

2. GROUP these three layers.
3. DUPLICATE the GROUP.
4. Move the duplicate group to whichever 'button' you want.
5. Repeat for each button.

duplicate_group_MT_01.png

Regards.
MrToM.

MrToM

Guru
Sorry IamSam....I posted just as your edit popped up.....by then it was too late, otherwise I'd have held off.

Regards.
MrToM.

Zagash

Thank you MrTom but it doesn't work for me.

- I select all 3 layers (Rounded Rectangle 1 copy, Layer 1, Glow).
- Rightclick and "Group from Layers"
- Duplicate Group

Then I have a copy of the group named "Group 1 Copy"
Anywhere I try to drag and drop this group (up or down in the Layers list) it does the same: highlight the 2nd "button". I think I fail on this point. Does it need any special thing to change the area it highlights? I see on your screenshot the position of the area is changed on the mask also - it is all by a simple reordering of the layers?

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry @IamSam....I posted just as your edit popped up.....by then it was too late, otherwise I'd have held off.

Regards.
MrToM.
No, your were in the right. I was mistaken. I did not realize that it was PSD file, so everything is as it should be.

MrToM

Guru
...everything is as it should be...
:thumbsup:

...Anywhere I try to drag and drop this group (up or down in the Layers list)...
Ah...no...close but no.

Don't drag the layer in the Layers Panel, (Sorry, did I say that?), use the 'Move' tool 'V' to physically move the layer in the document to another button.

The Layer Order changes the layer position in a 'z' axis....or if you like 'front' to 'back'......not in either the 'x' or 'y' axis as in 'left' or 'right' or 'up' and 'down'.

Use the 'Move' tool and drag ON the document (canvas)....you may be pleasantly surprised!

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:

Zagash

Thank you very much it's working perfectly!
How could this be so easy? :O

Emotions I'm under atm: :jawdrop: :youtheman: :bangdesk: and :yourock:

Edit: While I move the highlights I realized some "buttons" are few pixel shorter or longer vertically than the original. Is there a simple way to stretch / shrink the visible area in the highlight groups?

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
No worries....

.....but don't leave it 17 hours next time. :thumbsup:

Regards.
MrToM.

Zagash

I lied a bit, it was only 16 hrs and like 20 minutes actually, tried what a human can try with layers and masks without success :p And see, the solution is not even in there. completely forgot the editable canvas :p

I edited my last post with a newly discovered prob, do you know any easy workaround?

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
No worries.....16 hours and 20 mins is fine.

As to your next question.....you'd be better off changing the background rather than the 'highlights'...its plain enough that changing it will be less noticeable.

You can create your own 'background' to each button....you don't have to use that supplied, and you already know how big it should be because you already have the 'highlights' layers.

If you really DO want to change the 'highlight' layer to fit the 'button' then select that 'highlight' layer and use the transform tool (Ctrl + T) to scale the layer to fit.

Personally I'd transform the background to fit but the choice is yours.

Regards.
MrToM.