What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PS2020

KeithW33

Every time I open Photoshop a pop up message wants me to download an update. I choose the option to wait until I exit. Either way, now or later, it stops at 5%. How can I get this update? I must need it because I have a host of problems.

Have you checked with Adobe and what did they say?

I've had that problem. Ended up uninstalling the current version of PS and then reinstalling the full updated version.
Tahat might work for you.

Great, I was about to ask if that could be done. But where can I obtain the updated version. I suspect it would have to be from Adobe. But is that free and do you have a link?

Great, I was about to ask if that could be done. But where can I obtain the updated version. I suspect it would have to be from Adobe. But is that free and do you have a link?
You can do it from your Creative Cloud desktop app. When you open the app, you'll get a window showing your installed apps. To the right of the Photoshop app, you'll see a dotted line:

1646223606530.png

When you click on it, it will give you an option to view other/previous versions:

1646223815534.png

Click on the version you want to install::

1646223938236.png

I have 23.1.1 installed - haven't updated yet...:cheesygrin:

You can also keep your older version as well - I do that in case I have problems with the updated version. You can have more than one version on your machine.

Some add'l guidance from Adobe:

- Jeff

Left out an answer to your question - as long as you have an active subscription, all versions are free to install and use. :)

You can do it from your Creative Cloud desktop app. When you open the app, you'll get a window showing your installed apps. To the right of the Photoshop app, you'll see a dotted line:

View attachment 127824

When you click on it, it will give you an option to view other/previous versions:

View attachment 127825

Click on the version you want to install::

View attachment 127826

I have 23.1.1 installed - haven't updated yet...:cheesygrin:

You can also keep your older version as well - I do that in case I have problems with the updated version. You can have more than one version on your machine.

Some add'l guidance from Adobe:

- Jeff

I've been photoshop-ing since Elements 6 and have never heard of, or have a Creative Cloud app?

Apologies - you wrote that you have PS 2020 - that's included in the Creative Cloud plan. You should have Adobe Creative Cloud installed...

Hi @KeithW33
Could you clarify yet I think you are using Photoshop Elements and forum members may be assuming you are using Photoshop CC (creative cloud) with a subscription. So possibly talking apples and oranges.

Hi @KeithW33
In looking back at your prior posts from a couple years ago, you were (and assume still are) using Photoshop Elements 2020.
Just to allow forum members to better help you, in the future, clarifying that you are using Photoshop Elements 2020 vs just Photoshop 2020 would save some time and confusion. Turns out the Photoshop CC (creative cloud) uses the same numbering system and it too has a 2020 version (as well as 2021 and 2022).

Assuming you are still using Elements, here is what I have heard for steps to take when there are update issues (e.g. getting stuck).
The general steps are to uninstall PS Elements 2020 totally and then download and install a fresh copy from Adobe.

A couple pieces of guidance if you take this path.
1) Make sure you have a full system backup as if anything goes wrong, you can go back to your previous snapshot of your system (always a prudent step)
2) Before taking any actions, you want to verify that you have access to the older version of Elements that you want to install.

Here is a link that has the details of what you need to do to verify you can download that older version (likely you can do this):
How to download older versions of Photoshop Apps

In brief, you need to have registered your Photoshop Elements 2020 app with Adobe for this to work. If you have not done that yet, the link I provided also has a link on how to register your Adobe Product. Once registered on your Adobe account, you log in, and you will be able to see all of your Adobe products that you have registered including serial numbers and if a download is available there will be a download button off to the left.

I checked my product list and I could still download Adobe PS CS 5 which I purchased back in 2010. So good chance you should be able to download PS Elements 2020.

Apparently the full install process for the product is more successful than doing incremental updates.

I have not checked the compatibility of PS Elements 2020 yet you always need to make sure that it works on the version of OS that you are using or have upgraded too.

Hope this information is helpful and if not, you could always add posts to the thread if you have additional issues.

John Wheeler

Hey John -
He was having trouble with an update so the issue would be downloading a newer version. I may have confused the issue by saying that he could keep the older version if he has trouble with the newer one with the update. In any case, you've given ample guidance on how to solve his issue. I also think that a complete uninstall and a full clean install will prevent any hangups.
Excellent guidance and advice from you as always! :bowdown:
- Jeff

Hey John -
He was having trouble with an update so the issue would be downloading a newer version. I may have confused the issue by saying that he could keep the older version if he has trouble with the newer one with the update. In any case, you've given ample guidance on how to solve his issue. I also think that a complete uninstall and a full clean install will prevent any hangups.
Excellent guidance and advice from you as always! :bowdown:
- Jeff

I guess we will have to wait and see if @KeithW33 needs more help. I just interpretted the troubles when doing an "update" was the "dot" version changes which usually does not involve a full uninstall and reinstall and is only an incremental change to some of the software. I rarely have updates on my Mac stall out yet when I used to use Windows machines that would happen all the time (though that experience was prior to 2008). I just looked up online advice for updates on Elements and there were a number of posts having the same "stuck" or "no progress" problem. Not a lot of great solutions given other than uninstall and a full clean reinstall of the most recent version of Elements 2020. So we shall see.

I guess we will have to wait and see if @KeithW33 needs more help. I just interpretted the troubles when doing an "update" was the "dot" version changes which usually does not involve a full uninstall and reinstall and is only an incremental change to some of the software. I rarely have updates on my Mac stall out yet when I used to use Windows machines that would happen all the time (though that experience was prior to 2008). I just looked up online advice for updates on Elements and there were a number of posts having the same "stuck" or "no progress" problem. Not a lot of great solutions given other than uninstall and a full clean reinstall of the most recent version of Elements 2020. So we shall see.

Thank you guys very much. I hesitated uninstalling Elements 2020 until I knew I could reinstall. This morning I found the serial #, date of registration, and version 18.0 which ought to be enough to download the latest version. I really appreciate your help.:joy:....will try tomorrow

Hi @KeithW33
I understand the hesitation of uninstalling and re-installing. As before, best to have a full backup and verify on the online registration page for your Adobe account that you can download the desired version before proceeding.
Fingers crossed that this helps resolve your issue
John Wheeler

Hi @KeithW33
I understand the hesitation of uninstalling and re-installing. As before, best to have a full backup and verify on the online registration page for your Adobe account that you can download the desired version before proceeding.
Fingers crossed that this helps resolve your issue
John Wheeler

Well, I managed to download PsElements 2020 (7 hours) and had to activate it with the serial number. It was on the original disc package, so I entered it only to find it was invalid??
Come to find out it was actually retired or revoked and my only option was to buy it again. Built in obsolescence I suppose. But before I pay up do you know of any other photo editing software? It isn't like I can't afford it. It's an ethical matter, principals to me.

Last edited:
Well, I managed to download PsElements 2020 (7 hours) and had to activate it with the serial number. It was on the original disc package, so I entered it only to find it was invalid??
Come to find out it was actually retired or revoked and my only option was to buy it again. Built in obsolescence I suppose. But before I pay up do you know of any other photo editing software? It isn't like I can't afford it. It's an ethical matter, principals to me.

Check out this link: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/error-serial-number-valid-product.html
Hope that helps
John Wheeler

It concerns me that it took approximately 7 hours to download the software. You either have a very slow connection or machine problems. That may be the basis of the issues you're having...

In any case, the two programs I'm most familiar with are GIMP and Photopea. GIMP is a free download and Photopea is an online editor. Honestly I have not used either but have read good things about them.

There's also Affinity Photo which isn't a free program but whose name often comes up as a PS alternative. It's a one time purchase, no subscription, and relatively inexpensive.

- Jeff

It concerns me that it took approximately 7 hours to download the software. You either have a very slow connection or machine problems. That may be the basis of the issues you're having...

In any case, the two programs I'm most familiar with are GIMP and Photopea. GIMP is a free download and Photopea is an online editor. Honestly I have not used either but have read good things about them.

There's also Affinity Photo which isn't a free program but whose name often comes up as a PS alternative. It's a one time purchase, no subscription, and relatively inexpensive.

- Jeff
Thanks for the alternatives Jeff. This morning I managed to "redeem" my purchase. Actually it was my wife's Brenda and supposedly she's ALL SET but nothing is happening. Could that be because I restored from the back up and I need to uninstall again?

Back