What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PSD files with layers and mask need to make with hard edges

samsimon

Nice video and it did reveal something you should change to try again (you may kick yourself in the rear for missing it). In my image below when the Free Transform is being used on the Smart Object, you have anti-aliasing turned on. Not sure this will solve you issue given its CS4 yet you should give it a try.
John Wheeler
It seems you are pro genius, the boss within PS. It works, even on my old version. My bad, I was turning anti-aliasing off only once, where we have to kill it twice.
Also in regards first issues that I've had, I got "Layer > Layer Mask > From Transparency command" within CC 2014 and was able to mimic exactly what you did and guided.
THANK YOU! Take care. Best wishes for upcoming 2021, wish you and your family only the best to come!

samsimon

However, if you want these additional areas to be sharper for another reason, then that can be addressed as a separate issue and has to do with sharpening techniques.
Let me know if you need to proceed to this second potential issue
John Wheeler
I forgot, I would love to learn about it, if it's not hard/advance, I may need to use it/it could be useful for me, please share.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
very strange thing, friend gave me his laptop with Photoshop CC 2014, and I got the same thing - soft edges. And he tried on his PC, he has CC 2017. same thing. hm...

It works, even on my old version. My bad, I was turning anti-aliasing off only once, where we have to kill it twice.
Can you please, for the sake of prosperity and for future readers of this thread, post the final reduced image (via free transform) of the lamp image! Please. So we can see that it truly worked. Thanks.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
No matter what I try it comes out fuzzy using free transform ONLY!!

This is the original 241px x 249px file you used as your example file.
Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 9.48.15 AM.png

PNG file after being reduced to 115px x 125px
Hotel__1_.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 9.55.06 AM.png

thebestcpu

Guru
No matter what I try it comes out fuzzy using free transform ONLY!!

This is the original 241px x 249px file you used as your example file.
View attachment 117567

PNG file after being reduced to 115px x 125px
View attachment 117568
View attachment 117569

Hi @IamSam

Most of my posts were in regards to how to remove existing partial transparency or starting with the AI file and Smart Object and Free Transform without creating anti-aliasing.

For just using Free Transform on a raster image with no extra push ups to get rid of the anti-aliasing, try nearest neighbor interpolation (option on Free Transform) to avoid the anti-aliasing It works for me yet would be interested if that does not work for you.

John

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
In this case, the use of a smart object conversion does not help. If you convert a bad image into a bad smart object............you still get bad results.

For just using Free Transform on a raster image with no extra push ups to get rid of the anti-aliasing, try nearest neighbor interpolation (option on Free Transform) to avoid the anti-aliasing It works for me yet would be interested if that does not work for you.

It clears up the fuzziness but has no effect on the aliasing. Makes the aliasing worse actually.
Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 11.05.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 11.07.48 AM.png

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi @IamSam

Totally understand. The OPS problem was the antialiasing against transparent areas was causing pixels with partial transparency. All of his vendors when printing his images on fabric was producing a white outline. So he wanted a solution would as higher priority create those edges with no partial transparency even through the aliasing (jaggies) got worse.

The methods I mentioned did not help with aliasing problem of solid pixels agains solid pixels as that requires a different solution and would yield to just using higher resolution or other techniques.
I believe in in @samsimon last post he was asking for those techniques for areas of aliasing that was not causing partial transparency.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Totally understand. The OPS problem was the antialiasing against transparent areas was causing pixels with partial transparency. All of his vendors when printing his images on fabric was producing a white outline. So he wanted a solution would as higher priority create those edges with no partial transparency even through the aliasing (jaggies) got worse.
Yes, I understood this. Thanks. I apologize, but fro me the simplest solution was to stop using such poor quality low resolution images that would produce this problem in the first place.

The methods I mentioned did not help with aliasing problem of solid pixels agains solid pixels as that requires a different solution and would yield to just using higher resolution or other techniques.
Yes and you did an outstanding job!

I believe in in @samsimon last post he was asking for those techniques for areas of aliasing that was not causing partial transparency.
Now that's a sensible inquiry. Glad I covered that to some degree.

thebestcpu

Guru
I forgot, I would love to learn about it, if it's not hard/advance, I may need to use it/it could be useful for me, please share.

Hi @samsimon
I think @IamSam covered some of you question in the last few posts yet let me recap
I believe for your images that are vector format, you have a path to create larger of smaller images without the edge partial transparency and also with minimal aliasing problems ("jaggies").
For starting with raster images, if the starting image is large enough, you should not have problems with those too as we already talked about how to remove the partial transparency and the other areas don't have the jaggies to begin with.
The only last set to be considered are raster files that are already at low resolution and you desired to increase their size and end up with sharp edges without jaggies. If this "is" the final issue with which you need help, I suggest you start another new post as its a different topic than the white edges created by your fabric print providers with partial transparency. Just note that you are asking for what everyone would want or the "holy grail" to start with a very low resolution image and create a beautiful high resolution image. No magic generalized solution, yet if you provide specific examples or your real starting image, a discussion of what is possible and what is not could start.
Hope that gives you a good direction to consider
John Wheeler

samsimon

Can you please, for the sake of prosperity and for future readers of this thread, post the final reduced image (via free transform) of the lamp image! Please. So we can see that it truly worked. Thanks.
We cannot use right away "Free Transform"
This way only works for vector (at least based on my tries)
Open Ai, turn off anti aliased, then File -> Placed… -> Open the same Ai file -> Click OK -> Turn off anti aliased on top (box) - > resize -> Accept (any size you want) -> then you can hide original Ai file and use second created Ai vector with Free Transform with zero issues.

11111111111.PNG

samsimon

Yes, I understood this. Thanks. I apologize, but fro me the simplest solution was to stop using such poor quality low resolution images that would produce this problem in the first place.
I don't want to post my other real designs here, this lamp is for testing purposes (doesn't matter the quality - the issue is different), some other of my designs are 300 DPI and 10,000 x 10,000 best quality possible but have soft tiny edges, and they have this issue especially after resizing (when printed there are white lines despite the whole vector only was one color - red) - thus the Boss (@thebestcpu) figure it out how to fix.

samsimon

For starting with raster images, if the starting image is large enough, you should not have problems with those too as we already talked about how to remove the partial transparency and the other areas don't have the jaggies to begin with.
John Wheeler
Are we talking about original PSD file posted? and the remaining horizontal lines with soft edges? As the file is not Ai, and it's the best resolution possible, and printing companies may mess it up again because of the lines, that's why I was asking if I could learn how to fix what you are referring here "However, if you want these additional areas to be sharper for another reason, then that can be addressed as a separate issue and has to do with sharpening techniques."

111.PNG

2222.PNG

thebestcpu

Guru
Are we talking about original PSD file posted? and the remaining horizontal lines with soft edges? As the file is not Ai, and it's the best resolution possible, and printing companies may mess it up again because of the lines, that's why I was asking if I could learn how to fix what you are referring here "However, if you want these additional areas to be sharper for another reason, then that can be addressed as a separate issue and has to do with sharpening techniques."

View attachment 117581

View attachment 117582

Hi @samsimon
Since we have solved the problem of partial transparency, I am not sure that there is a significant issue for you product anymore.
To keep the situation simple, if you have another problem for you or your business with which you need help from the PSGurus forum, I suggest posting on another thread with specific actual examples of your problems (or partial images of your problems) and or PSD files that forum members could examine and then advise.

That would be my recommendation if there are any next steps.
John Wheeler