What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question before submitting a request

Viceroy07

Hello everyone,

I have question regarding to Photoshop and what it is capable to do. I need to modify/transform an image. My image will have 1:2 ratio and will be tileable/sameless (one end fits to other end). At top and bottom there will be not much of texture. I have not yet created it because I do not want to spend time creating my image and than finding out that you can not do it. I am bad with terminology so if something does not make completely sense I apologise in advance.

There are two steps:

1. step
Transform an image in to a 360 panorama image. Basically warp an image to a sphere and save the image. I believe this task would be difficult and I need the transformed image to be as much accurate as possible. Here are some images that represent what I mean. <- click here

2. step
Turn that transformed image to cube map. Hopefully an easy one. Here is an website that does it but I don not know if it preserves the original resolution and quality when transforming to cube map. You can try yourself and see if is it true. If not then Photoshop maybe can do it. Try this image for example and transform it to cube map.

The final result should look like this:
9mmy82j.png
(Image is not mine. I found it on the internet and trasformed it on that website)

Is it possible to do both tasks in Photoshop? At least the first one. The second one can be alternatively done on that website (if does not decrease quality and resolution). If neither of it Photoshop can do what other programs can do it?

Cheers

How will you be creating the image? Do you need it to be seamless? It's difficult to provide answers without seeing the actual image you would use for this. The provided examples are probably panoramas or stitched together images, as they appear to be wider than even a super wide angle lens can capture in one shot.

As for being possible in Photoshop, yes it is possible because these are just image manipulations. The difficulty really depends on your answers to the above questions.

There are easier solutions available such as Android/iOS camera apps that do this automatically, might be a whole lot easier to use something like that if you are taking the photo(s) yourself.

OK then. Here is my project that I have been working on. It is not finished yet but this should give you an idea how it would look like. This has nothing to do with taking photos. This is solely about transforming this similar image. I will be creating my own.

clouds day project.png

Back