What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quick Photoshop of a building

webwize

I was asked to send through an image of the building where I work for an internal magazine - although the original image would of been fine I had a little pay for a few mins to kill some time...

Photos of Matrix House 003.jpg
Original

MatrixHouseHDRv2.jpg
Edited

Too much or do you think it looks ok?

if your asking if its to much then maybe it was be a good idea to say what scenario you imagine using the picture in.

I for 1 like it as it has that artist impression feel about it without to much Sketch feel.
( you know the sort the proposal an Architect would draw up before a place is actually built. ie apartment complexs and shopping centers)

Thanks Hoogle - the picture will just be a placed in an internal magazine with a piece I need to write up about what we do, no real specs given - pretty much can do whatever I want :) I like the updated one because it's that much more interesting. I'm not very familiar with the HDR capabilities in Photoshop so was quite careful not to overdo it (1st attempt had a very sketchy look to it).

In the end I put a mask over the original picture painted in the HDR sky and a few other areas and then a gradient fill to bring everything together a little more naturally.

Cheers Spruce,

I like the lighter version and if I did that on the original PSD I doubt the details would get lost quite as much, still think the darker version is more visually interesting but there's a danger that I will make the place I work look like the gates to hell.... not great when the boss gets a look :)

BTW - I love your new avatar - happy xmas to you to :)

webwize, some nice playing around spruce and hoogle have been doing with your work. I like most of what you did in your altered version. The building looks good, much better, and you can see the details now. The sky is interesting but I feel like I want to snap on my seatbelt and get ready for a few Gs. No, actually I like it but for your purposes, I think it is too intense, especially the darkness in the upper right -- which is where spruce's version of the sky works well. I think if you toned the sky down, make it recede -- your bldg, chad's sky -- it would be great for a business magazine.

I think (and don't get me wrong, ordinarily I would be all for the edited version), that for the purpose you are trying to use the image for, it's a little too much color in the sky. It gives it a very sci-fi-ish/fantasy like look, which is right up my street and I think you get points for the edit, but for a magazine where you have to write about your work place, visuals aid in the article. In a weird way, I think if I read an article to find out about a place with the second image, I would be less likely to believe it than the first image.

I think a mix of the two would be excellent.

Please don't get me wrong, I love the edit!!!

Ah, you're so gentle Pepperbel! That's nice to see actually. I agree with you, but we don't really know what the business is. If it's a bunch of laid back computer geeks not suits . . . then OK with the sci fi slant. But the sky is intense alright :D

you just couldn't resist could you????

Well if the business is nerds....then I'm afraid the sky isn't gona cut it....

Hi All

Thanks for all the updates - I work for a huge IT company so geeky isn't too much of a problem :) Love the edit Paul if work looked like that when I walked in every morning it would be great. In the end I submitted a few shots, both original and "worked". plus a few internal shots again some original and some turned to an artistic grayscale with a few tweeks to the levels on an adjustment layer.

Also wanted to thank Pepperbel for the constructive criticism, if people were able to phrase replies like that there would be far less arguing on threads :)

Thanks all

webwize

Back